(Five-year term appointment with the possibility of reappointment for a further term)
The Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study (STIAS) is a high-level research facility dedicated to keeping South Africa and Africa at the forefront of international scientific developments. Initially established by Stellenbosch University, it is now a fully independent PBO Company with its own Board of Directors It provides an environment where cutting-edge research can be focused on issues that are of special relevance to Southern Africa and to Africa as a whole. It does so by inviting researchers of international repute to work at the Institute for a concentrated period of time on carefully selected topics.
For further information, visit http://stias.ac.za
The incumbent will report to the STIAS Board of Directors.
Apply online at www.sun.ac.za/english/careers
• Responsible for the full strategic and operational functioning of STIAS;
• Overall responsibility for the promotion of relevant advanced study, as well as establishing, maintaining and achieving the mission, vision, values and goals of STIAS;
• Raising STIAS’s profile in Africa;
• Positioning STIAS as the preferred research destination for scholars from all parts of the world;
• Providing strategic direction to STIAS in developing the intellectual capital of Africa, especially by shaping future generations of scholars and intellectual leaders;
• Building and maintaining constructive relationships between STIAS, universities, the research community, donors, decision makers and the general public;
• Communicating the vision and mission of STIAS;
• Establishing and facilitating a climate conducive to optimal research;
• Responsible for internationalising the research programme;
• Overall responsibility for fundraising.
• A relevant doctorate;
• A prominent research record and a proven research profile;
• Extensive experience in the management of high-level research;
• Well-established national, continental and international research networks;
• A proven record of multidisciplinary project synthesis and implementation;
• Proven ability to initiate, promote and successfully conduct interdisciplinary research;
• Proven relations with research networks in Africa, including young upcoming scholars;
• A proven track record of successful fundraising for research;
• A proven record of managing finances and resources;
• A profound understanding of the strategic importance of basic research and the ability to articulate this to decision makers and potential donors;
• Proven ability to work constructively with scholars from different research traditions and to promote multidisciplinary research;
• Understanding the various scientific disciplines, their respective philosophical approaches and modes of operation, as well as their needs;
• An entrepreneurial and innovative approach to research issues;
• Strong leadership skills and the ability to lead a team;
• Excellent interpersonal skills;
• The ability to communicate effectively.
Commencement of duties: 1 April 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter
Closing date: 29 September 2017
Enquiries regarding job content: Prof B Lategan on email@example.com
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Service Centre on 021 808 2753
STIAS reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach STIAS before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
STIAS reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from STIAS within six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.