Associate Professor/Professor in Aquaculture
Established in 2003, JCU Singapore offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs from James Cook University Australia. James Cook University Australia is recognized internationally as a leading research university and is ranked among the top 2% universities in the world(ARWU ranking). James Cook University focuses on providing high quality education that is both rewarding and fulfilling for students.
The campus is growing and very friendly and academic staff across the disciplines and administrative staff often interact. At any time, there are students on campus from at least 40 different countries, mainly from the region, but also including a growing cohort from Europe. Singapore is an interesting place to live and provides easy access to other countries in the region. The position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to expand their cultural experience, live in a fascinating and exciting city.
James Cook University Singapore has recently established a Research Institute. The first pillar of the Research Institute will be in the area of aquaculture.
James Cook University is internationally acclaimed for their industry-linked research in tropical aquaculture. The University intends to establish a strong R&D capability in Singapore that will work in close partnership with industry and other end-users to facilitate aquaculture production. The Institute will strongly link with industry, NGOs, Polytechnics/Universities, government and funding bodies to enhance Singaporean aquaculture production and train the future human capital necessary for sustainable industry growth. While the initial focus will be on Singapore, opportunities throughout the broader Southeast Asian region will also be pursued.
Please visit http://www.jcu.edu.sg or http://www.jcu.edu.au for more information. We are now seeking a qualified and motivated candidate for the position of: Associate Professor/Professor Aquaculture.Candidates with expertise in ‘aquatic animal health and disease management’, ‘larval rearing of marine species’, ‘genetics’, and/or ‘nutrition’ are encouraged to apply.
The appointee will be an experienced academic / faculty member and will be responsible for leading aquaculture research at James Cook University Singapore.
- Conduct of independent research and research team leadership and the production of published works in refereed journals, books, conference and seminar papers
- Fostering the research activities of individuals and teams within the work unit.
- Development of research policy and contributions to the strategic planning of JCU’s research profile and programs.
- Oversight of staff and financial management of relevant research projects or programs.
- Responsibility for the maintenance and renewal of funding in the relevant research field.
- Promotion of research links which enhance the profile of the field in both the research and general community and provide opportunities for the application of research findings.
- Contributions to teaching programs in areas of expertise consistent with the conditions of the award.
- Primary or co-advisor of honours and postgraduate students, examination of honours and postgraduate theses and contribution to the design of postgraduate teaching and research programs.
- Substantial contribution to the leadership, research culture, intellectual activities and outputs of the work unit and relevant research centres, institutes, clusters or groups
- Participating in outreach activities which raise the profile of JCU and increase end-user engagements.
Selection Criteria for appointment as Associate Professor/Professor Aquaculture:
- A PhD in Aquaculture or a related discipline or a substantive post-doctoral research record in one of the key research areas required: ‘aquatic animal health and disease management’, ‘larval rearing of marine species’, ‘genetics’, and/or ‘nutrition’.
- An active and internationally recognised research agenda within aquaculture (such as within ‘aquatic animal health and disease management’, ‘larval rearing of marine species’, ‘genetics’, and/or ‘nutrition’) and a substantial publication record relative to career stage.
- Evidence of a high level of success in obtaining research funding, particularly end-user linked funding.
- Evidence of quality supervision of higher degree research students and quality teaching of undergraduates.
- Evidence of academic and research leadership.
- Experience with working with industry participants and designing industry-relevant and co-funded projects
- A profile of international excellence in the relevant research field.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relations with colleagues in an academic environment and with people from diverse backgrounds, including the communication and engagement skills necessary to build and maintain relationships with industry and other external actors.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Enquiries: Associate Professor Abhishek Bhati, Campus Dean;
Tel: +65 6709710,
Employment type: Full time contract subject to Ministry of Manpower Singapore jurisdiction and probationary period.
Remuneration and conditions: The positions command an appropriate remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. All employment salary arrangements are offered in Singapore currency.
Associate Professor Aquaculture: SGD118 000 per annum – SGD167 000 per annum
Professor Aquaculture: SGD163 000 per annum – SGD231 000 per annum
Method of Application
Applications MUST provide all of the following:
- an up-to-date CV including research record (publications, research grants, post-graduate supervision history)
- a full statement of qualifications
- a statement systematically and individually addressing the Selection Criteria
- teaching profile and recent teaching evaluations
- 3 publications of note
- a completed Summary Application Form
Applications without any of the above will not be considered. Please state position and reference number applying for in subject header and send application to email@example.com
Closing Date: 22 September 2017
We thank you for your interest and regret we are only able to notify shortlisted candidates.The University reserves the right to invite applications or, alternatively, not to make an appointment.
The Singapore campus of James Cook University (registered as James Cook University Pte Ltd in Singapore) is a wholly owned company of James Cook University Australia. The University offers Bachelor & Master Programs in Business, Psychology, Information Technology & Education at the Singapore campus of James Cook University.