Research/Senior Research Fellow in Marine Science
Established in 2003, JCU Singapore offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs from James Cook University Australia. James Cook University Australia is recognized internationally as a leading research university and is ranked among the top 2% universities in the world(ARWU ranking). James Cook University focuses on providing high quality education that is both rewarding and fulfilling for students.
The campus is growing and very friendly and academic staff across the disciplines and administrative staff often interact. At any time, there are students on campus from at least 40 different countries, mainly from the region, but also including a growing cohort from Europe. Singapore is an interesting place to live and provides easy access to other countries in the region. The position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to expand their cultural experience, live in a fascinating and exciting city.
James Cook University Singapore has recently established a Research Institute. The first pillar of the Research Institute will be in the area of aquaculture.
James Cook University is internationally acclaimed for their industry-linked research in tropical aquaculture. The University intends to establish a strong R&D capability in Singapore that will work in close partnership with industry and other end-users to facilitate aquaculture production. The Institute will strongly link with industry, NGOs, Polytechnics/Universities, government and funding bodies to enhance Singaporean aquaculture production and train the future human capital necessary for sustainable industry growth. While the initial focus will be on Singapore, opportunities throughout the broader Southeast Asian region will also be pursued.
Please visit http://www.jcu.edu.sg or http://www.jcu.edu.au for more information. We are now seeking two (2) qualified and motivated candidates for the positions of: Research/Senior Research Fellows. Candidates with expertise in ‘aquatic animal health and disease management’, ‘larval rearing of marine species’, ‘genetics’, and/or ‘nutrition’ are encouraged to apply.
The appointees will be experienced academic / faculty members and will be responsible for applied aquaculture research in their specialization within ‘aquatic animal health and disease management’, ‘larval rearing of marine species’, ‘genetics’, and/or ‘nutrition’.
- Conduct of research independently or as a member of a team and the production of published works in refereed journals, books, conference and seminar papers.
- Supervision of research support and technical staff in relevant research projects.
- Financial management of research projects.
- Preparation of submissions for external research funding.
- Involvement in professional activities, including contributions such as conferences and seminars in the field of expertise.
- Primary or co-advisor of honours and postgraduate students in area of expertise and examination of honours and postgraduate theses.
- Contributions to teaching programs in area of expertise consistent with the conditions of the award.
- Contribution to the research culture, intellectual activities and outputs of the work unit and relevant research centres, institutes, clusters or groups.
Selection Criteria for appointment as Aquaculture Research Fellows
- A PhD in Aquaculture or a related discipline.
- An active research agenda within aquaculture (such as within ‘aquatic animal health and disease management’, ‘larval rearing of marine species’, ‘genetics’, and/or ‘nutrition’) and a substantial publication record relative to career stage.
- Success in obtaining research funding.
- Evidence of quality supervision of higher degree research students and quality teaching of undergraduates will be advantageous.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relations with colleagues in an academic environment and with people from diverse backgrounds, including the communication and engagement skills necessary to build and maintain relationships with industry and other external actors.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Enquiries: Associate Professor Abhishek Bhati, Campus Dean;
Tel: +65 6709710,
Employment type: Full time contract subject to Ministry of Manpower Singapore jurisdiction and probationary period.
Remuneration and conditions: The positions command an appropriate remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. All employment salary arrangements are offered in Singapore currency.
Research Fellow: SGD77 000 per annum – SGD109 000 per annum
Senior Research Fellow: SGD 91 000 per annum – SGD128,000
Method of Application
Applications MUST provide all of the following:
- an up-to-date CV including research record (publications, research grants, post-graduate supervision history)
- a full statement of qualifications
- a statement systematically addressing the Selection Criteria
- teaching profile and recent teaching evaluations
- 3 publications of note
- a completed Summary Application Form
Applications without any of the above will not be considered. Please state position and reference number applying for in subject header and send application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 22 September 2017
We thank you for your interest and regret we are only able to notify shortlisted candidates.The University reserves the right to invite applications or, alternatively, not to make an appointment.
The Singapore campus of James Cook University (registered as James Cook University Pte Ltd in Singapore) is a wholly owned company of James Cook University Australia. The University offers Bachelor & Master Programs in Business, Psychology, Information Technology & Education at the Singapore campus of James Cook University.