Intranet Technical Officer
The Intranet Technical Officer develops functionality for Content Management System (CMS) operation and provides backend technical support for CMS platforms. The incumbent’s primary focus is internal staff content, whilst the role supports all types of web content. The incumbent develops websites, associated functionality, content; assists with content migration; handles operation, auditing and associated requirements; and conducts system updates and changes.
Division of Global Strategy and Engagement
The Division of Global Strategy and Engagement provides leadership and strategic direction within the University to support JCU’s ambition to become a world leader in education and research related to the tropics. The Division is responsible for development and oversight of the JCU global strategy and marketing, international and engagement strategies. Through a centralised business development function, the Division of Global Strategy and Engagement plays a critical role working with and across the Colleges and Divisions to ensure activities undertaken throughout the University align with the JCU global strategy.
The Division includes the Directorates of Marketing, Future Students, and External Engagement and undertakes other activities including business development, special projects and oversight of the Cairns campus.
The Division is outwardly focused and provides a centralised point for the facilitation, coordination and oversight of all marketing activities, student recruitment activities, international compliance, international student support, alumni, fundraising and external engagement both domestically and internationally.
The Marketing Directorate is responsible for oversight of the implementation of the JCU marketing strategy both domestically and internationally. The Directorate is responsible for a diverse range of marketing and related functions including brand, course and research marketing, digital strategy including the web and social media, advertising and publications, coordination/oversight of external facing events and participation in the processes around setting of fees, charges and scholarships.
James Cook University
Division of Global Strategy and Engagement
- Develop functionality, components and structure for websites within the Content Management System for use by content editors and administrators.
- Plan and implement improvements to the web-user experience through the use of front-end frameworks, design best practices and tools for monitoring user behaviour.
- Offer technical and strategic input to the development and direction of a corporate Intranet to business owner.
- Follow industry best-practices with regards to version control, documentation, data management, security and other practices.
- Conduct regular reviews and audits of the Content Management System to determine relevance, currency of content, design and structure of JCU websites targeted for internal use.
- Provide timely and responsive technical support to content editors of internally facing websites, in line with JCU best-practice customer service, acting to resolve technical difficulties.
- Troubleshoot and debug previously unseen technical problems whilst planning and implementing solutions in collaboration with colleagues and third-party vendors.
- Remove outdatedcontent from the Content Management System, archiving as required and ensure tasks are completed safely, responsibly and according to legal requirements including adherence to information privacy and confidentiality requirements
- Organise and provide group training and support for content contributors in the Content Management System.
- Support the transition to updates and enhancements to the Content Management System by facilitating Go Live launches and providing technical support and advice to staff.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff. Your specific level descriptor can be found at:
Professional and Technical
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Intranet Technical Officer is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Intranet Technical Officer is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Intranet Technical Officer is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
- It is a requirement of this position to operate from either the main JCU Campus (as per table above) or the Townsville City Campus.
Selection and appointments will be assessed against selection criteria.
- Degree qualification in Information Technology orrelated field with subsequent relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education and/or training.
- Demonstrated broad experience in web publishing, Content Management Systems (CMS) platforms and experienced in planning, implementing and evaluating the usefulness of web content.
- Demonstrated broad experience in the use of frontend web frameworks (such as Bootstrap), design patterns and cross-platform integration.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Information Technology best practices, including version control systems (egGit/GitHub), documentation, and bug tracking.
- Demonstrated well developed written and oral communication skills including interpersonal and negotiation skills with ability to maintain commitment and a collaborative approach to building key relationships with various stakeholders.
- Demonstrated independent problem-solving and analytical skills in creating web-based solutions and proven ability to drive continuous improvement in development processes.
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly acquire knowledge and adapt to previously unseen technologies and IT/business practices.
- Familiarity with help desk software, issue tracking systems and issue triaging.
- Understanding of the higher education sector.