CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in AI-driven Materials Discovery
- An outstanding opportunity to work with leaders in the AI field.
- Kick-Start your research career!
- Join CSIRO Data61 - Australia's largest data innovation group.
Postdoctoral Fellowships at CSIRO provide opportunities to scientists and engineers, who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships will help launch their careers, provide experience that will enhance their career prospects, and facilitate the recruitment and development of potential leaders for CSIRO.
In this position you will develop new high-throughput simulation methods based on artificial intelligence to streamline the generation and curation of materials data; employ materials informatics (machine and deep learning) to explore complex molecular/materials structure/property relationships; use advanced visualisation methods to map functional properties to structure with sub-atomic resolution in real time, and collaborate with experimentalists and our industry partner.
Specifically you will:
- Under the direction of senior research scientists, carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Develop and implement active learning and/or heuristic optimization algorithms in conjunction with commercial molecular and materials simulations software on high performance computers to automate and optimise computational materials design workflows.
- Develop and/or use multivariate data analytics methods, such as machine and deep learning to predict structure/property relationships in the presence of structural polydispersivity and statistical uncertainty.
- Design and implement real-time data monitoring and visualisation tools, drawing on state-of-the-art technologies such as virtual reality (VR).
- Engage with the experimental collaborator to focus test cases toward industrially relevant outcomes.
Location: Docklands, VIC
Salary: AU $80K - AU $91K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 3 years
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate (attained or submitted for examination) in a relevant discipline area such as computer science, statistics, mathematics.
Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years of relevant postdoctoral experience.
- Extensive and detailed knowledge of, and demonstrated proficiency in, machine learning, deep learning and/or active learning.
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing and maintaining user-friendly software, tools and scripts including scientific programming using Python.
- Demonstrated experience in the use of high performance supercomputing environments, and the use of molecular and/or materials modelling software packages.
- Demonstrated experience outputting scientific data to virtual reality devices.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today - for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
Data61: In today's data-focused world, there's no doubt that numbers count. Data61 are the largest data innovation group in Australia, a connector that brings together technology innovators, businesses and universities to transform Australian industry and to help solve our greatest challenges. A CSIRO business, we are creating our data-driven future.
Applications Close: 10:59pm AEST, Sunday, 24 Sept 2017.
Previous applicants need not re-apply.