Description of Work Unit
This work unit exists to anticipate the physical environment of the University by: administering and managing capital construction; space management; physical planning; maintenance, grounds, custodial services; solid waste removal; and utility services for the University to achieve its objectives of instruction, research and public service.
This position performs specialized grounds work by maintaining, repairing, installing, rebuilding and programming the university’s municipal computerized irrigation system.
Primary duties include: Install, replace, retrofit or repair all underground irrigation lines, sprinklers and valves. Maintain proper operation of pumping stations and filtration. Retrofit existing irrigation systems to accommodate new construction or various landscape/hardscape changes. Program and operate irrigation controllers and central computer. Must be available for snow removal as needed.
This position must be able to perform work both individually and as a team member.
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- Two full-time years (24 months) of progressively responsible grounds irrigation care and maintenance work in a municipal, commercial or parks setting.
- Must have a current valid State of Colorado driver’s license.
Substitutions Preferred Qualifications
Highly sought applicants will have many of the following:
- Irrigation training / seminars
- Irrigation Association Certifications or equal
- Experience with large sized pipping and various pipe material
- Snow removal experience
- Leadership skills
- Customer service abilities
- Communication skills
- Computer capabilities in Windows, Excel, Outlook, Word, Adobe
- Experience reading and interpreting irrigation design drawings and maps
- Electrical troubleshooting for irrigation systems
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Irrigation Duty/Responsibility
- Install, replace, retrofit or repair all underground irrigation lines, sprinklers and valves
- Maintain proper operation of pumping stations and filtration
- Retrofit existing irrigation systems to accommodate new construction or various landscape/hardscape changes
- Program and operate irrigation controllers and central computer
Percentage Of Time 65% Job Duty Category Landscape Maintenance Duty/Responsibility
- Perform landscape maintenance of turfgrass, shrubs, trees, other plant material and beds including hand mowing, string trimming, shrub pruning, planting bed maintenance, mixing and applying herbicides
- Perform landscape cleanup including litter removal, hard surface cleaning, leaf raking and removal
Percentage Of Time 20% Job Duty Category Snow Removal Duty/Responsibility
- Perform snow removal with broom tractors, toolcats, truck mounted snowplows, snow blowers, and hand shoveling. Performs routine maintenance and repairs of grounds equipment.
Percentage Of Time 15%
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Clearly document job duties you have performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the Work Experience section on the application. Human Resources must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
- Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that Human Resources can calculate full-time work experience.
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- If an Application is considered “Incomplete”, the Application will be removed from consideration for the position.
- An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- An Application is incomplete if “see resume” (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- Positions requiring a degree or if using education as a substitution for work experience (eg: Associate or Bachelor’s) transcripts are required in order to verify receipt of the required degree or coursework. If official or unofficial transcripts are not supplied at the time of application, the Application is incomplete.
- When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a completed application; however, some positions may still require a resume as a component for complete application materials.
**Please see the Required Documents section of the posting.
- The selection process for State Classified positions may include an exam(s), which requires candidates to physically appear (at the CSU campus in Fort Collins, CO) at the candidates’ own expense.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check the Deleted and Junk folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your Application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Please check the Help link online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/help/ for assistance on your application or for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office HR_Employment@mail.colostate.edu.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Pre-employment Physical, Valid Driver’s License - CO Regular, Essential Services Designation, Shift Work - Snow Removal, On-call Status - Irrigation water main break response 24/7 , Use, Handling, or Exposure to hazardous materials - Asbestos Pipe
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.