Description of Work Unit
This position is in the Office of Creative Services, a department within the Division External Relations. The department is responsible for the management of communications projects including coordination, graphic design, and photography for Colorado State University’s colleges, divisions, departments, and units, while serving an integral role in the development and execution of the University’s strategic marketing, graphic standards/branding and communications initiatives. This position will report to the Assistant Vice President for Brand Strategy.
Colorado State University’s in-house creative group is seeking a talented, strategic, and highly conceptual designer-illustrator to join our team.
At CSU, our designers are creative problem solvers charged with building the university’s brand. We’re looking for a designer that will join us in creating engaging content and beautiful experiences that tell the University’s story. CSU is a public research university that stands for academic excellence, access to higher education, ground-breaking research, and service to the world at large.
You will join a team that is fueled by the need to create, developing work that is purpose driven and meaningful. This is an opportunity to take ownership of your work, live in one of America’s best college towns, and have the work/life balance to actually get out and enjoy it. If this sounds like something you’d like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you.
Some of the things you’ll do will include:
- Collaborate with designers, project managers, writers, and our campus partners in creation of the work.
- Think of new ways to engage our core audiences – prospective students and their parents, alumni, donors, legislators, and campus at large.
- Design across all media: digital, print, environmental, collateral, etc.
- Participate in an internal team culture that is focused on creating an environment where great work can happen.
- Act as a creative consultant to our campus partners, helping them arrive at their goals and objectives through strategic design solutions.
- Represent your ideas and present them to others.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education in graphic design, communications, or related field.
- Portfolio showing exceptional creative and conceptual design talent across a variety of mediums.
- Minimum of 3 years of hands on design experience working in a collaborative team environment such as an ad agency, in-house creative team, or design firm. No prior higher education experience necessary.
- Master of Adobe Creative Suite.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Experience working with established and evolving brands and graphic standards.
- Excellent collaboration skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presenting work to clients.
- Strong digital illustration skills: including design elements such as icons, infographics, and editorial illustration as shown through portfolio.
- Designer/illustrator; equally adept in layout and in developing the elements of modern brand design.
- Expert in print & design production; able to prepare print-ready files at production standards, work with outside vendors, create and implement templates.
- Experience with digital design; understanding of user experience and can design for interaction.
- Desire to create innovative work; able to develop fresh ideas and turn them into brilliant design.
- Ability to multitask effortlessly, juggling several projects at a time.
- Strong awareness of social, cultural and design trends.
- Curious, eager to grow and willing to try new things.
- Confident creative professional, yet humble and willing to put ego aside.
- Strong desire to do work that matters and makes a difference in the world.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Graphic Design Duty/Responsibility
Develop innovative design solutions while working within a group of creative professionals in a team environment. This includes, but is not limited to creative design; branding initiatives; assisting design team; editing of digital and offset printing designs and files; and design and layout of other communications mediums (banners, signage, advertisements) for various initiatives.
Percentage Of Time 50 Job Duty Category Collaborate on Branding Initiatives Duty/Responsibility
Work directly with the communications team to implement a consistent look, tone and feel for all communications efforts that leverage institutional brand standards and guidelines in all media platforms. Collaborate with communications teams to plan, develop, implement, and manage marketing and communications plans and initiatives for the college’s departments, and units that address and meet University strategic goals and objectives (advancement, funding, recruitment, academics, research, and environment).
Percentage Of Time 50
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete the online application and upload a cover letter and resume. Please provide at least three professional references within your application. A professional design portfolio is a requirement for consideration of your application. Please provide a link to your portfolio or upload it in PDF format.
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Search Contact Mark Hanson, email@example.com
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.