Employee Records Specialist - Technician
Description of Work Unit
Colorado State University is a large research, land-grant institution and employs over 10,000 full and part-time faculty, exempt and non-exempt professionals, classified staff and student employees. The University’s Human Resources Department is responsible for a broad range of activities including, but not limited to: all employee benefits; payroll; compensation; HR service center; classification for Administrative Professional employees; recruitment, selection and classification for State Classified employees as well as general oversight of the State Personnel System within the University; employee relations; personnel policy interpretation; employee records and personnel action processing; and the human resource management information systems (HRIS).
We are a department that values collegiality. Ongoing and positive interactions among staff and with faculty, staff, and students contribute to our department’s supportive and open culture of inquiry, as well as our commitment to collaboration and professional development.
The Employee Records Administrator performs para professional/technical human resource services for the University’s Academic Faculty, Administrative Professional, and Postdoctoral Fellow staff which includes: HRIS database management, employee record administration; interpretation and application of Colorado State University, State of Colorado, and Federal rules, regulations, and policies as they apply to personnel action processing, record retention, etc. This is skilled work in the practical application of specialized techniques, procedures, practices or methods in order to accomplish tasks. This specialized work is a direct extension of professional human resource work which requires an understanding of the field in order to carry out the practical nature of the work. Duties are driven by data management requirements through the Human Resource Oracle system which requires knowledge of systems and support activities associated with the systems.
To be considered for this position applicants must have:
- Three full-time years (36 months) working within a relational database system performing data entry, data modification/update, reviewing/approving database actions, and/or reporting
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college, university or non-correspondence school course work in Human Resources, Business, Information System Management, or related field may substitute for the required experience in the minimum qualifications.
* Note: to use education as a substitution for experience, a transcript, either official or unofficial must be attached with the application materials.*
Highly sought applicants will have many of the following:
- Experience with a HRIS database, preferably Oracle
- Experience working within a human resources environment
- Knowledge and experience with CSU policy and procedure
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong customer service abilities, both in verbal and written communication
- Able to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Personnel Action Administration Duty/Responsibility
Administer Academic Faculty, Administrative Professional, and Postdoctoral Fellow employee personnel records by: Assessing employee actions submitted by University departments for applicable Colorado State University, State of Colorado, and Federal policy and procedure compliance; modifying and authorizing employee actions; updating employee records on the HRIS database; establishing permanent employment records; integrating appointment changes into permanent employment records; reviewing documents for completion; determining record accessibility; providing records information to authorized persons, and record retention.
Percentage Of Time 55 Job Duty Category Compliance Duty/Responsibility
Interpret and explain Colorado State University policies and procedures relating to Academic Faculty, Administrative Professional, and Postdoctoral Fellow appointment actions, affirmative action compliance, I-9 compliance, retirement program regulations, benefit program regulations to all University departments, and advise on HR Records processes.
Percentage Of Time 25 Job Duty Category Benefit Eligibility Assessment Duty/Responsibility
Determine benefit eligibility for all Academic Faculty, Administrative Professional, and Postdoctoral Fellow appointments. Notify HRS Benefits, HRS Payroll, and applicable University department when changes in benefit eligibility occur. Investigate discrepancies in benefit eligibility, determine course of action for resolution, and notify appropriate contact.
Percentage Of Time 10 Job Duty Category Reporting Duty/Responsibility
Report all Academic Faculty and Administrative Professional appointment actions to the Colorado State University President and to the CSU System Board of Governors (BOG) for appropriate approval; notify University departments and employees of President and BOG approval. Compile monthly personnel action statistics for Academic Faculty, and Administrative Professional employees; summarize date into two analyses for submission to Human Resources Director.
Percentage Of Time 10
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Clearly document job duties you have performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the Work Experience section on the application. Human Resources must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
- Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that Human Resources can calculate full-time work experience.
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- If an Application is considered “Incomplete”, the Application will be removed from consideration for the position.
- An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- An Application is incomplete if “see resume” (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- Positions requiring a degree or if using education as a substitution for work experience (eg: Associate or Bachelor’s) transcripts are required in order to verify receipt of the required degree or coursework. If official or unofficial transcripts are not supplied at the time of application, the Application is incomplete.
- When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a completed application; however, some positions may still require a resume as a component for complete application materials.
**Please see the Required Documents section of the posting.
- The selection process for State Classified positions may include an exam(s), which requires candidates to physically appear (at the CSU campus in Fort Collins, CO) at the candidates’ own expense.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check the Deleted and Junk folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your Application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Please check the Help link online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/help/ for assistance on your application or for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office HR_Employment@mail.colostate.edu.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.