Curriculum and Examinations Coordinator
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
Curriculum and Examinations Coordinator
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The OIST Graduate University offers a PhD program to about 200 students, in a range of areas in science and technology. The flexible, innovative graduate program, taught in English, and the university administration and extensive staff support, also in English, are unique in Japan.
The OIST Graduate School is responsible for the life-cycle of students at OIST, from student recruiting, through to graduation. The Graduate School is led by the Dean, and is made up of three sections: Academic Services Section, Student Support Section and the Admissions and Career Development Section. All sections work together to achieve the goals of the Graduate School.
Working within the Academic Services team in the OIST Graduate School, the Coordinator is responsible for administering all curriculum and examination-related activities at OIST. Thesis defense and thesis proposal examinations for individual students occur throughout the year, and require the presence of external examiners who are experts in the field of each thesis.
- Manage all administrative aspects of the examination process, including; approval of examiners, scheduling exams, engaging external faculty to participate in examinations, confirmation of results, and reporting to Graduate School committees and task forces.
- Manage and report on research progress of senior students.
- Manage curriculum delivery and development.
- Provide liaison and support with OIST faculty on new courses and course changes.
- Provide detailed advice and guidance on policy and procedure relating to academic programs, research progress, examination, and degree requirements, to staff and students.
- Responsible for Graduate School interaction with MEXT and other government bodies such as JSPS, NIAD-UE.
- Completion and submission of government surveys, MEXT after care, new course and faculty accreditation, etc.
- Regular review and improvement of relevant policy and procedures.
- Graduate School handbook and regulations development and revision.
- Support the Manager, Academic Services, and the Dean of the Graduate School, in matters relating to curriculum, examinations, and research progress, as required.
- Support other Graduate School events and programs as required.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/), welfare pension insurance(kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance(roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date:
Applications deadline will continue until the position is filled.
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
Or send documents via post mail to:
Recruiting Team, HR Management Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan