Lecturer in French and Francophone Studies
- Full Time
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
School of Languages and Culture
- Join a highly collaborative and supportive team with a strong research culture
- Develop your career alongside internationally renowned colleagues
- Full-time, continuing, Academic Level B, remuneration package: $120,724 to $143, 357 p.a. which includes salary, leaving loading and up to 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers one of the most comprehensive and diverse ranges of humanities and social science studies in the Asia Pacific region and is regularly ranked in the top 20 arts faculties in the world. The School of Languages and Cultures (SLC) offers the widest range of undergraduate and postgraduate language studies in Australia and is a centre for European, Latin American, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies.
The Department of French and Francophone Studies within the School of Languages and Cultures is seeking to appoint a Lecturer in the field of Translation and Transcultural Studies, new media, socio-political studies or another field relevant to French and Francophone Studies.
As the successful applicant you will:
- maintain a research profile compatible with the Department’s research programmes through publication and research grant application
- supervise honours and postgraduate research students in French and Francophone Studies
- coordinate and teach core units in the French and Francophone major including developing and delivering French language and culture units at all levels from Beginner to Advanced.
- contribute to the Department’s curriculum development, review and collaborative teaching projects
- contribute to the teaching of interdisciplinary units and other collaborative units at School level
- coordinate and help promoting French and Francophone Studies within the university and to the community
- work flexibly and collaboratively in a team environment and assume roles in administration and planning in the Department and School
- engage in community outreach activities of the Department and the School.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Lecturer in French and Francophone Studies who has:
- a PhD in French or Francophone Studies
- native or near native competency in French and English
- a strong record of peer-reviewed publications relative to opportunity
- demonstrated experience and commitment to innovative teaching and course development
- experience in designing and teaching French-language modulesat different levels with demonstrated success in promoting student retention and achieving high levels of language competency
- demonstrated ability, relative to opportunity, to develop and maintain an active research program including research grant applications
- evidence of capacity to work flexibly and collaboratively in a team environment and to assume roles in administration and planning in the Department and School.
There are also desirable criteria for appointment.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Sunday 1 October 2017 (Sydney time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
©The University of Sydney