Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST rapidly is gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Mechanical Engineering & Microfabrication Support Section seeks a highly motivated individual who will expand our machine shop capability for mechanical instrumentation. The candidate will have substantial experience in machine shop management, have a wide range of mechanical engineering knowledge in academic and research settings, and professional skill in technical communication. Prior business experience with vendors and contract manufacturers will be highly beneficial for this position.
- Engineering support, equipment design, and manufacture of state-of-the-art laboratory and experimental equipment.
- Master the operation of our machine tools, update our user training manuals, safety manual and deliver training to OIST researchers.
- Manage machine shop operation and maintenance of the machine shop.
- Actively participate in the planning and expansion of the OIST machine shop operation and mechanical engineering service.
- In consultation with OIST researchers, create cost estimates, and deliver the articles either by in-house machining or by procuring external services.
- Attend trade shows and conferences to keep abreast of the latest developments in engineering, manufacturing and metrology.
Full-time,fixed term appointment for 2 years.Contract initially with 3 month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/), welfare pension
- insurance(kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance(roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
As early as possible
Application Due Date:
Applications deadline will continue until the position is filled.
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
Or send documents via post mail to:
Recruiting Team, HR Management Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan