Professor in Environmental Communication
Professor in Environmental Communication
Faculty of Natural Resources and Agricultural Sciences
Department or Urban and Rural Development
The Department of Urban and Rural Development at SLU offers a strong social science research environment with its foundations in the research subjects environmental communication, rural development, landscape architecture and agrarian history. We are now seeking to recruit a professor and research leader to the Division of Environmental Communication.
Environmental Communication is a subject within which we investigate the communicative aspects of environmental and sustainability issues. Here, communication is considered as co-construction of meaning rather than the transmitting of information. The Division for Environmental Communication conducts primarily qualitative social science research concerned with themes such as legitimacy, participation, power, resistance, conflict and learning in decision making, implementation and change processes from a communicative perspective. The research spans over a wide range of contexts such as nature conservation, forestry, food production, climate change, game management, mining and built environment. An important goal is that the research contributes to sustainable development and social change.
The subject area of the position covers communication in environmental and sustainability issues, with a focus on communication as co-construction of meaning, based on social science methodology.
The holder of this position is expected to:
- develop and lead a strong research environment with internationally recognized and successful research in environmental communication
- actively participate in teaching at undergraduate, master and doctorate levels
- actively participate in PhD training and supervising PhD students
- actively collaborate with other research groups within the Department and other departments within SLU in order to strengthen interdisciplinary research at the university
- develop and maintain national and international networks and collaborations with academics, relevant agencies and organisations as well as other societal actors.
- actively generate external research funding from national and international sources
- actively disseminate research findings and contribute with relevant knowledge to society
The successful candidate will:
- be a scholar of distinction within the subject area of this position
- have demonstrated a proven experience of qualitative research
- have demonstrated a proven ability to lead and develop an outstanding research group
- have proven ability in social science methodology and method
- have a PhD and competence as Associate Professor or equivalent
- have demonstrated ability to attract external research funding
- have demonstrated good teaching skills
- have ability to integrate research and scientific perspectives in teaching
The assessment of candidate will primarily be based on the degree to which they possess the required skills for the position.
The assessment of the scientific skills will consider:
- current and previous research
- ability to independently initiate and lead excellent research
- ability to attract external research funding.
The assessment of teaching skills will consider:
- experience of planning, conducting and evaluating teaching
- experience of supervision and examination of students
The overall assessment will also consider the applicant’s degree of skill in:
- developing and managing activities and staff at the higher education institution
- interacting with relevant stakeholders
- dissemination of information on research and development projects
Place of work: Uppsala
Starting date: By agreement
The scientific and pedagogic documentation submitted in support of the application shall be indicated in the application, and one copy of each document shall be made available to the Registrar at the time of application. At most 10 scientific publications and at most 10 pedagogic publications, including popularized versions, should be submitted in support of the application. In addition a complete list of publications shall be supplied; the publications submitted with the application must be indicated. When expert reviewers have been appointed, the applicant(s) will be informed to send copies of the documentation listed in the application to each one of the reviewers.
Application: You are welcome to submit your application marked SLU ua 406/2017. Enclose your CV and any other supporting documents. Send your application to the Registrar, SLU, Box 7070, SE-750 07 Uppsala or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close on October 13, 2017.
SLU is an equal opportunity employer.