Control Systems Engineer
Control Systems Engineer in the CERN Technology Department (TE), Electrical Power Converter Group (EPC), Converter Controls Software Section (CCS).
You will join:
The Electrical Power Converter Group, Converter Controls Software section (TE-EPC-CCS), responsible for the power converters for the CERN particle accelerator complex. The mandate of the group covers the operation and maintenance of several thousand power converters in the range between 10 kW and 100 MW, as well as developments for challenging new projects. More specifically, the Converter Controls Software section is responsible for the development and support of the power converter control and interlock software.
Hundreds of the smallest power converters and the interlocks for the largest are based on PLCs. In the coming years, these systems need to be renovated using the latest hardware and programming methods, to be extremely reliable and maintainable. In addition, hundreds of commercial power converters are in use and more will be installed, and real-time software in C and C++ is needed to integrate them within the wider power converter controls framework at CERN.
As an industrial control engineer in the CCS Section, you will:
- Take a leading role in the development, maintain and document the PLC-based interlock software for CERN largest power converters and static var compensators.
- Develop, maintain and document real-time controls software for commercial power converters.
- Share the responsibility for the deployment, operation and maintenance of all the converter controls software running in the new and old converter controls electronics in CERN's accelerators.
Master's degree or equivalent qualification in the field of Industrial controls engineering or Software engineering, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the development of software for PLC-based industrial control systems.
- Demonstrated experience in the development of software using the C and C++ programming languages.
The following experience would be an advantage:
- Knowledge of real-time programming techniques would be an asset.
- Experience with Git, SQL, Perl, continuous integration and software testing techniques and Linux administration would be an asset.
- Signal processing, automatic control theory, digital and analogue electronics and power electronics would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Design of PLC based control system.
- Design of process control functional analysis / requirement analysis.
- Design of safety control systems.
- Design of embedded control system.
- Design of ergonomic human machine interface / design of HMI for control systems.
- Overall architectural design of large control systems / design of control systems.
- Programming/Software development.
- Design of real time control system.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; using time efficiently and effectively.
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to draw-up technical specifications and scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- The ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts will be considered an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 18.09.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.