Geographic Information System Technician / Cartographer
Description of Work Unit
CEMML is a research, education and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at Colorado State University (CSU). CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense (DoD) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within CSU to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations.
A Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician/Cartographer (Research Associate I Special) position is available with the Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands. This position is located at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin.
Fort McCoy is a United States Army Reserve installation between Sparta and Tomah, Wisconsin. The installation is 60,000 acres that lies between eastern forests and western prairies. The area has warm summers and cold winters. The installation supports year round training from all branches of the armed services in a variety of realistic training scenarios.
The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the United States by proposed start date. CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
The incumbent will provide technical support for the geospatial information used in range operations and perform cartographic design and production. The incumbent will work with the GIS Analyst to develop and maintain Spatial Data Standards for Facilities Infrastructure and Environment (SDSFIE) compliant geodatabases and Federal Geospatial Data Committee (FGDC)-compliant metadata.
Required Job Qualifications
- The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the United States by proposed start date. CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
- The successful candidate must have a BS/BA in Geography or closely related discipline with GIS coursework.
- One year of professional (post graduate) experience in GIS is required.
- The successful candidate must have experience with ArcGIS 10.x or higher and experience with GIS database development.
- The successful candidate must have the ability to work as part of a team in a structured organization.
- The ability to do work under harsh weather conditions and in uneven terrain is required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license by the employment start date.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- The desired candidate will have demonstrated knowledge of geodatabase structure, functions, management, and development.
- Experience with enterprise GIS is preferred.
- Solid local and network file management skills are preferred.
- The desired candidate will have demonstrated experience working with GIS applications in natural resources management, cartography, and GPS hardware/software.
- Knowledge of and experience with Army/DoD GIS programs and spatial data standards (SDSFIE) is preferred.
- The ability to work and meet established program standards and requirements is desired.
- The desired candidate will be able to collect field data (GPS) and assist with data analyses and provide GIS products and information for reports, presentations, and other products.
- The ability to work on multiple projects and provide customer support is desired.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Technical Support Duty/Responsibility
The incumbent will provide technical support for the geospatial information used in range operations and perform cartographic design and production.
Percentage Of Time 50% Job Duty Category Data Standards Development Duty/Responsibility
The incumbent will work with the GIS Analyst to develop and maintain Spatial Data Standards for Facilities Infrastructure and Environment (SDSFIE) compliant geodatabases and Federal Geospatial Data Committee (FGDC)-compliant metadata.
Percentage Of Time 50%
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prospective candidates should apply online at http://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/48532. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. Apply no later than September 4th, 2017, 11:59 pm for full consideration. Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. Please remove social security numbers and birthdates from application materials. A complete application consists of:
- Statement of Qualifications (one page letter addressing each qualification described in announcement)
- Transcripts (for each degree earned that is listed under qualifications)
- Degree Conferral (copy of diploma if transcripts do not include confirmation that degree was awarded)
References (contact information for 3 professional references including at least one supervisor, references will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates)
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License
Search Contact Sabrina Broderick, WCNR_HR@mail.colostate.edu
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.