Alumni Engagement Manager - Alumni Relations
Description of Work Unit
Colorado State University (CSU) is a University on the rise. CSU has a commitment to excellence, its land grant heritage, and its position as a Carnegie Research University. The Division of University Advancement is an appreciated campus partner in achieving institutional excellence by employing an entrepreneurial approach to its fundraising efforts. As the campus prepares for a comprehensive campaign, the CSU Alumni Association will be a partner in this significant endeavor. The Division of University Advancement is committed to the growth of its people and accomplishing the mission of Colorado State University. University Advancement has one of the leading development teams in the country. CSU’s standing among universities is increasingly recognized in numerous national rankings and for many years CSU has been the school of choice for Colorado students, with a long-standing legacy of attracting the best and brightest nationally and internationally.
We are seeking a successful individual who has a proven track record with a collaborative approach and our vision to build one of the nation’s premier alumni relations teams. The CSU Alumni Association facilitates meaningful relationships between alumni and the University. Using a combination of proven alumni engagement strategies and new, innovative approaches, the Alumni Association strives to celebrate the success of our alumni, build an emotional connection back to the institution, and help alumni to identify meaningful volunteer opportunities. In addition, the Association is excited to embark upon the construction of a new Alumni Center to serve as a place of pride and home to more than 200,000 alumni when they return to campus. This 20,000 square foot facility is slated to open in summer 2017. The ideal candidate will be a consummate professional and will thrive in a fast-paced campaign and metrics/results-driven environment. The candidate will have a strong work ethic and a successful track record of building and growing programs and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, alumni, faculty, and community partners.
The Alumni Engagement Manager is responsible for creating and managing meaningful alumni engagement experiences locally, regionally, and nationally. This position is responsible for providing expert guidance and advice on best strategies to utilize events as alumni, member, and donor stewardship opportunities in order to meet unit goals. He/she will build positive relationships with internal and external partners and create and manage meaningful volunteer opportunities for alumni that strengthen their relationship with CSU through involvement in events, programs, and related experiences. This position will serve as an Alumni Association lead on events and as a liaison to the Office of CSU Events & Donor Engagement in the execution of signature events.
This position requires the ability to lift 25 pounds and a valid driver’s license with reliable transportation or access to a driver. This individual will interact and build relationships with alumni, donors, volunteers, business partners, and Division and University colleagues. This position is based out of the Alumni Association office on the CSU campus in Fort Collins, Colorado. A $3,000 moving allowance may be negotiated at the time of hire. This position requires working non-standard hours, including early mornings, evenings, and weekends as well as occasional travel throughout Colorado and nationally. This is a 12-month, full time appointment and reports to the Director of Alumni Relations.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, hospitality, or related field
- Two years full-time professional experience in event management
- Experience in a customer service or relationship building role
- Experience working with volunteers in the production of events and programs
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Ability to travel and work non-standard hours, including early mornings, evenings, and weekends with a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation or access to a driver.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize work to maximize productivity, and respond effectively to change
- Experience building constituent engagement through events and programs
- Excellent attention to detail, accuracy, and quality in work produced
- Experience working with budgets and financial processes
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and an ability to manage demanding work situations
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team and to thrive in a creative, fast-paced environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and strong information technology skills
- Experience with constituent databases, such as Advance
- Experience in alumni relations, non-profit associations, or higher education
- Knowledge of Colorado State University and its Alumni Association
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and relevant ability with, culturally diverse communities among potential target and constituent populations.
Job Duty Category Alumni Engagement, Relationship Management Duty/Responsibility
- Create and manage meaningful engagement opportunities for alumni to strengthen their relationship with CSU through participation in events, programs, and related experiences. Includes research, analysis, and recommendation to set strategy to meet unit goals.
- Serve as a representative of the Alumni Association and University while working with individual alumni volunteers and volunteer committees. Provide guidance and expertise for volunteer-driven programs to maximize success and create a meaningful experience for alumni, volunteers, and participants.
- Assist Director of Alumni Relations in creating an overall strategy for engaging volunteers in innovative ways that connect them to the University.
- Actively participate in growing membership, license plate sales, sponsorship, and revenue partnerships. All Alumni Association employees share a responsibility to meet and surpass Association revenue goals to support our $2.3 million budget.
- Understand and apply knowledge of University Advancement alumni database in a variety of facets, including analysis of demographic data, program/event effectiveness, and return on engagement/investment. Monitor trends to increase alumni engagement and make recommendations to staff and senior leadership for enhancement or changes.
- Design and build targeted lists for engagement activities using the alumni database, review lists for accuracy and alignment with engagement goals and manage information for use in communications.
Percentage Of Time 50% Job Duty Category Event/Program Development and Production Duty/Responsibility
- Serve as an enthusiastic member of the alumni relations team which will develop and create engagement opportunities through delivery of programs and events that serve various segments of the university’s 200,000+ alumni and that meet the goals of the Association.
- Develop, design, and produce all event planning details including but not limited to independently negotiating terms and contracts with vendors for services related to an event, invitation and guest list management, menus, audio visual and facility requirements, event set-up, design and décor, and executing contracts and agreements in accordance with University and State regulations.
- Work collaboratively with alumni staff, vendors, volunteers, and CSU partners to assess requirements for each event or program experience and provide innovative solutions that will result in a successful project, this includes open and continuous communication to resolve issues and ultimately ensure guest satisfaction.
- Responsible for risk management assessment in relation to each event to ensure safety and comfort of alumni volunteers and event/program guests.
- Manage on-site event production, including directing team members and alumni volunteers involved in the production of each event or program.
Percentage Of Time 40% Job Duty Category Operations and Campus Involvement Duty/Responsibility
- Manage program budget and comply with university financial policies. Recommend how to increase revenue streams and how funds are directed and facilitate requests for additional funds when needed.
- Serve as Alumni Association representative and liaison to university committees.
- Exercise initiative, sound judgment, creativity and discretion in performing work assigned, anticipating and addressing concerns, responding to requests for information, and organizing and maintaining confidential files and records.
- Contribute to the total effectiveness of the department, communicating openly, solving problems proactively, offering creative ideas and working as a positive, engaged team member.
Percentage Of Time 10%
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but for full consideration all materials must be received by 11:59 pm on August 20, 2017. Prospective candidates should submit materials consisting of (1) a letter of interest responding to each of the preferred qualifications; (2) resume; and (3) addresses and telephone numbers of three individuals, one of whom is/was an immediate supervisor, who has firsthand knowledge of applicant’s professional abilities.
Please demonstrate in your cover letter and resume any and all of the preferred qualifications that you meet. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Search Contact email@example.com
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.