Description of Work Unit
Admissions is charged with leading undergraduate recruitment and outreach efforts for the entire university, as well as making decisions on all undergraduate applications, and processing graduate applications. This complex office of over 60 staff recruits actively around the state of Colorado and travels from coast to coast to interact with an annual prospect pool of over 60,000 students each year, and manages over 30,000 applications per year including 4700 transfer applications. Through innovative and strategic approaches, Admissions strives to balance its growth in attracting an increasingly diverse and well-prepared student body while still remaining true to its land-grant mission and heritage. Colorado State was the first public institution west of the Mississippi with membership in the Common Application Organization, and employs a holistic, comprehensive review process to select new undergraduates not only in light of their preparation, but their potential to successfully contribute to the campus community.
This position supports Admissions’ recruitment efforts through managing in-state and out-of-state recruitment territories; conducting information sessions; representing Admissions at recruiting and outreach events in-state and out-of-state; counseling prospective students; and reviewing applications for admission. This is a twelve-month, full-time permanent position with some travel and evening/weekend commitments.
Required Job Qualifications
- A bachelor degree in the liberal arts, sciences, engineering, business, arts, agricultural sciences, or related field.
- One year of demonstrated leadership and or professional experience working with high school or college students (experience gained while working as a college student will be considered.)
- One year of customer service experience.
- Demonstrated experience giving presentations to groups of various sizes.
- Personal or professional commitment to diversity as demonstrated by persistent effort, active planning, allocation of resources and/or accountability for diversity outcome.
- Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license or access to a licensed driver by the employment start date.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- A master’s degree in Higher Education or related field.
- Previous professional admissions or college counseling experience.
- Experience in working with and serving the needs of underrepresented communities, including the Hispanic/Latino community.
- Experience in working with and serving the needs of high ability students.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- A strong understanding of the Land Grant Mission of Colorado State University.
- Previous financial aid or scholarship selection experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking ability.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Ability to speak, read, and write fluently in Spanish.
- Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Counseling Duty/Responsibility
- Counsel prospective freshmen and transfer applicants and their families as they seek to learn about CSU. This will include responding to in-person, phone and email admissions inquiries and conducting on-campus information sessions.
Percentage Of Time 25% Job Duty Category Recruiting Duty/Responsibility
- Manage a Colorado and out-of-state recruitment territory. This requires recruitment travel (in state and out of state) representing CSU at college fairs and high schools, which may mean occasional irregular work hours, including nights and weekends. Must maintain a valid driver’s license or access to a licensed driver.
Percentage Of Time 25% Job Duty Category Admissions Decisions Duty/Responsibility
- Serve as a member of the Admissions Application Review Committee responsible for rendering admission decisions on domestic undergraduate applications to the University.
Percentage Of Time 20% Job Duty Category Programs and Events Duty/Responsibility
- Assist with outreach and recruitment programs such as visit days for prospective students and spring admitted student activities.
Percentage Of Time 15% Job Duty Category Other Responsibilities Duty/Responsibility
- Other duties and responsibilities will be assigned as appropriate and may include providing support in planning and programming multicultural recruitment activities and initiatives, providing support for scholarship or high ability student programs, or serving as a liaison to an assigned college or university office.
Percentage Of Time 15%
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, please apply by 8/27/2017, 11:59 pm (MST) with a resume, cover letter addressing the required and preferred qualifications and contact information for 3 professional references. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License, Travel
Search Contact Susan Lucero, email@example.com
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.