International Student Advisor
Description of Work Unit
INTO CSU is a LLC partnership formed between the INTO Corporation and Colorado State University (CSU). The INTO CSU Center, residing on the CSU campus, specializes in training international students in General English, Academic English, and Academic Pathway programs that prepare students for success at CSU and other university degree programs.
International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) is one of three (3) units within the Office of International Programs (OIP). The unit provides immigration documentation and advisory services for nonimmigrant visa bearers who are studying, conducting research, teaching, or working for Colorado State University. The unit maintains records and reports to the U.S. Government as required by federal law. The unit conducts educational programs related to cultural adjustment, orientation, and other matters pertinent to the population it serves. The unit is involved in recruitment of international students. Both OIP and INTO CSU have many dimensions and their overarching goal is to promote the internationalization of the CSU campus.
The full-time, 12 month position is responsible for immigration services for international students. Situated operationally within INTO CSU, this position works closely with the Office of International Programs (OIP) to ensure consistency in immigration advising, SEVIS reporting, immigration documentation and other related services.
This position reports jointly to the Senior Director of International Student and Scholar Services and the Admissions Manager for INTO CSU.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, education, business, science, public administration, international/intercultural studies, or a related field
- One year of work experience in the field of international education.
- Demonstrated experience and/or training with F visa regulations and procedures.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident status in order to serve as a Designated School Official (DSO) for F-1 visa purposes.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Master’s degree
- Minimum of four months of study, employment or residence outside of the United States.
- Proficiency in one or more language, in addition to English.
- Prior experience as a DSO.
- Experience with teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) programs.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Student Advising Duty/Responsibility
Advise international students on a variety of immigration matters, including maintaining legal immigration status, navigating the CSU system to maximize their university experience, document processing, and cross cultural adjustment.
Percentage Of Time 30% Job Duty Category Immigration Responsibilities Duty/Responsibility
- Serve as a Designated School Official for the F-1 student program of the Department of Homeland Security and evaluate financial documentation and issue immigration documents for international students.
- Maintain current information on immigration matters.
- Maintain relevant records, reports, and statistics of foreign nationals working and studying at the University.
Percentage Of Time 40% Job Duty Category Programming Duty/Responsibility
Provide or assist with programs such as orientation, cultural and educational events, and community activities, e.g. host families, and assist with office communication efforts.
Percentage Of Time 20% Job Duty Category Outreach Duty/Responsibility
- Serve as a liaison between INTO CSU, Colorado State University, government agencies, students, and the local community.
- Represent the University, as appropriate, at conferences, symposia, and working groups devoted to international student and scholar issues.
Percentage Of Time 10%
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please upload a cover letter and resume which address the minimum and preferred qualifications. Be sure to include dates (month and year) for relevant experience, including international experience.
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Search Contact Jennifer Rogers; firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.