Research Associate / Research Fellow in Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering
- 1 year fixed term appointment
- Level A/B position: $67,352 - $114,250 per annum
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top Australian universities and a member of the prestigious Group of Eight research-intensive universities ranked among the top 100 universities in the world.
About the work area
You will be a member of BRITElab in the School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering within the Faculty of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences at UWA, under the supervision of Dr Brendan Kennedy. The group works in the area of biomedical optics and, specifically, on the development of advanced imaging systems for use in a range of clinical applications.
You will primarily be based within the BRITElab team at the Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research on the Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital campus, which is located approximately 1 km from the main University campus.
In addition to biomedical optics, the School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering performs world-leading research in areas such as microelectronics, control systems and signal processing. This is complemented by excellent research in biomedical engineering performed in the School of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering and the School of Computer Science and Software Engineering.
You will perform research in the field of biomedical optics, in accordance with a research contract in place between UWA and a start-up company focussed on the development of optical imaging solutions for surgery. You will work with colleagues in BRITElab, as well as in close collaboration with surgeons and pathologists, to develop novel probes for eventual deployment in surgery. In particular, the applicant will be responsible for developing and testing hardware aspects of the probe.
To be considered for this position you will need to demonstrate:
- A PhD (or near completion) in a relevant field
- Research background in optics and preferably in optical coherence tomography and/or other imaging modalities
- Evidence of a strong ability in at least one of the following research areas: optics, photonics, medical imaging, microscopy
- Strong research publication record relative to your experience
- Supervision or mentoring of honours or PhD students
- The ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a group
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability and willingness to perform research administration tasks
Closing date: 4th September 2017
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Please see the position description prior to applying: PD Level A B - Research Associate Fellow.pdf
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion of the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.