The Board of Trustees of the European University at St. Petersburg seeks candidates for the position of Rector, currently the University’s topmost executive position. The European University is Russia’s leading non-state institution of higher learning devoted solely to research and graduate teaching in the humanities and social sciences. It is administered through the principles of self-governance. Working closely with leading faculty committees and the Provost, the primary tasks of the Rector will be to further the University’s development as a non-state independent institution, supervise expanding programs, help assure the appointment and retention of faculty at the highest international standards, and support research and teaching that further enhances the European University’s position in both the Russian and international academic worlds. Fluency in Russian is essential. Appointment as Rector by the Board of Trustees, to whom the Rector is responsible, is for an initial term of five years, with the possibility of renewal for a further term of five years.
Founded in 1994, the EUSP has developed rapidly as a leading center of post-Soviet intellectual life. Faculty members and students in its 6 graduate departments and 12 interdisciplinary research centers come from some 30 countries and more than 50 Russian regions. Along with the substantial achievements of its internationally known faculty, the University has managed to develop one of the largest endowments of any institution in Russia entirely through individual and corporate donations. It receives no financial support from outside Russia. The EUSP community will expect its new Rector to strengthen the University’s ability to meet the challenges facing a world class non-state graduate institution of higher learning in Russia, and assure EUSP continues to play a leading role in producing the quality scholarship and teaching so important to Russia’s future through the best of Russian and European scholarly traditions.
The Rector of the European University at Saint Petersburg will have the following responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Provost and principal faculty committees to refine and realize the University’s vision for its future
- Supervise together with the Provost the management of daily University operations and oversee the University’s fiscal management and administrative staff
- Further develop and strengthen the University’s external relations with government ministries, regulatory agencies, and other state institutions, as well as the University’s other external stakeholders from the business community, civil society as well as the academic community more broadly at the federal and local levels.
- Facilitate and encourage the creativity, scholarship, and effective teaching of the University’s faculty in ways that assure the continued strength of its existing faculty core as well as the University’s attractiveness for appointment by both younger and more established scholars from within the Russian Federation and abroad.
- Help identify research trends and together with leading faculty and staff committees, guide the University’s scholarship and degree programs in productive directions
- Explore with the Provost and relevant faculty committees the possibility of developing EUSP from a solely graduate institution into one that also offers an undergraduate program similar to those of the very best small colleges in North America and/or Western Europe
- Assure quality leadership in all departments and programs
- Help promote harmony and teamwork among the faculty, staff and students
- Work closely with the Development Office to increase funding for the University’s research and academic programs and its endowment
All applicants must have: 1) a firm commitment to the values of creative independent scholarship, shared governance, and constructive critical thinking, 2) evidence of visionary leadership in supporting and promoting excellence in teaching, research, and service, 3) an outstanding administrative and academic record, including a recognized level of professional achievement commensurate with an appointment at a comparable institution in or outside of Russia, 4) a proven record of effective mentoring and management of human and financial resources, 5) earned Russian higher academic degree or PhD or their equivalents and 6) demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively with a faculty which is diverse with respect to ethnicity, socio-economic status, interests, and abilities.
Location: Saint Petersburg, Russia
Compensation package: Competitive salary and benefits package
Review of candidate materials will begin immediately. Confidential inquiries as well as nominations, referrals, and resumes with cover letter should be sent to email@example.com
The European University at St. Petersburg is committed to cultural diversity of all sorts. It is expected that the successful candidate will further this commitment. EUSP is also an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of nationality, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, or age.
Apply for Rector
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly