Mechanical Designer in the Experimental Physics (EP) department, ATLAS Detector Operations (EP-ADO) Group, Project Office (PO) section.
You will join:
The Experimental Physics Department (EP) which encompasses the experimental particle physics activities in the Organization.
The Project Office (PO) Section of the ATLAS experiment (http://atlas.ch/) Detector Operation (EP-ADO) group, which is in charge of operating, maintaining and upgrading the mechanical infrastructure of the ATLAS experiment and detectors.
As a Mechanical Designer in the EP-ADO-PO Section, you will organize, execute and coordinate the various activities specified below. You will also take care of the design, manufacture and testing of mechanical devices tailored for specialized needs and applications:
Full design of mechanical components by means of CAD software.
Machining of mechanical pieces using conventional machines.
Coordination and setting up of mechanical tests to prove the soundness of the conceptual ideas, the design and the assembly procedure.
Direct participation in the detector system assembly and installation operations. These activities can take place both in experimental underground areas and on surface assembly halls.
Direct participation in the detector opening and closing operation.
Assist the relevant personnel in the coordination of worksites, ensuring that CERN's safety rules and regulations are respected.
Higher technical diploma in the field of mechanical design, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
Relevant experience in designing small mechanical apparatuses fulfilling specific needs in accelerator and detector environments.
Relevant experience in machining metal components with conventional machine tools.
Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing and its application to production drawings.
Experience in logistics, organization, supervision and management of tasks related to accelerator and detector improvements and renovation.
Experience of equipment related to particle accelerators and detectors would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Design of mechanical systems: use of CAD design software (knowledge of CATIA would be an asset).
- Design of mechanical systems: use of CAD-related database (knowledge of ENOVIA SmarTeam would be an asset).
- Use of numerical control and conventional machine tools: use of conventional and traditional machine tools.
- Use of Office software packages: PC usage and associated software including Microsoft Office.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: acknowledging the contribution of colleagues; recognizing their limitations and offering support to overcome their difficulties; building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Solving problems: anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French; ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages; ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 10.09.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.