Civil Structural Engineer
Civil & Structural Engineer in Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Protection Unit (HSE Unit), Safety Engineering and Environment Group (SEE), Prevention & Safety Engineering Expertise Section (SV).
You will join:
- The Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Protection Unit (HSE), which supports the Organization in the implementation and enforcement of its safety policy, monitors the implementation and accomplishment of safety objectives aimed at a continuous improvement of safe working and operating conditions as well as environmental protection and grants safety clearance on behalf of the Director-General for special equipment, installations, experiments and projects with major safety implications.
- The Safety Engineering and Environment Group (SEE), which offers safety services such as engineering expertise, training or independent control adapted to the needs of the Departments with the aim of enhancing prevention and ensuring that all safety aspects are integrated from the earliest stage of any project and that best safety practices are shared, harmonized and disseminated.
As a Civil & Structural Engineer in the Prevention & Safety Engineering Expertise Section, you will take up the role of CERN specialist for Structural Safety, joining a multidisciplinary team of Safety experts, covering several engineering domains.
Structural Safety covers Safety aspects of the civil and mechanical engineering domains such as concrete, metallic, composite, masonry and timber structures exposed to environmental, industrial, accidental and extreme loads.
- Check and validate design calculations coming from different CERN technical departments.
- Provide support to the design and assessment of standard and non-standard structures.
- Perform applied research activities in the field of structures exposed to accidental and extreme event, such as fire and earthquake.
- Provide technical guidance and inputs for the scoping and preparation of vulnerability assessments for CERN structures and infrastructures.
You will also:
- Evaluate the integration of Safety requirements in engineering solutions provided by CERN technical departments.
- Provide support in Safety audits and technical reviews.
- Check the conformity to Safety requirements of engineering and tendering specifications.
- Write CERN Safety documentation including rules, instructions and guidelines.
- Design and deliver Safety training related to all the structural safety domains.
- Participate to the projects/experiments Safety support activity of the HSE-SEE group for CERN projects follow-up, internally coordinating different contributions from Safety specialists.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of civil/structural engineering.
A PhD in related topics would be an asset.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in design of new structures, static assessment and seismic retrofitting of existing buildings.
- Demonstrated experience in checking and validating design calculations of civil and mechanical structures.
The experience below is considered as an asset:
- Experience in the supervision of the constructional phase of civil works in an international environment.
- Experience in research activities in civil and structural engineering.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Industrial and civil building design: deep knowledge of the european standards for the structural design and assessment; knowledge of the Swiss standards would be an asset.
- Metallic structure design: advanced knowledge of linear and nonlinear methods and capability to carry out and assess finite element analyses; demonstrated familiarity on design and assessment of structures subjected to fire. Advanced knowledge of the concepts of the probabilistic approaches to structural safety.
- Demonstrated practical knowledge of structural analysis software packages: ability to assess the resistance and the performance of concrete and metallic structures in order to verify their compliance to the applicable Safety requirements.
- Building diagnostics, consolidation and renovation analysis: demonstrated familiarity on seismic vulnerability assessment of existing structures; ability to detect structural design deficiencies in existing structures and propose reinforcement interventions.
- Basic knowledge of accident scenarios impacting the structure related to other safety domains (fire, cryogenics, helium release, explosion etc.) would be an asset.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
The language competencies required are:
- English or French: spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up technical documentation, reports and/or to make oral presentations. The ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15.09.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.