Animal Welfare Officer
HEW 8, $89,519 - $100,810 per annum plus 17% superannuation. This is a part time( 14.7hours per week) fixed term appointment until September 2018.
- Friendly and professional team
- Expand your Animal Welfare and Veterinary Skills
- Located at our Footscray Park Campus
About the Organisation
Victoria University aims to be a great university of the 21st century by being inclusive rather than exclusive. We champion the student, not the institution. As the university of opportunity and success, we will be open and excellent, creating exceptional value for any student from any background and uplifting the communities in which we operate. Victoria University has a distinctive dual-sector structure, supporting stronger education and career pathways. The university aspires to deliver a learning and teaching experience that empowers a diversity of students to grow their capabilities and transform their lives for the better.
About the Role
The Animal Welfare Officer will provide expert advice to the University on animal ethics, welfare and management issues, facilitate training in practical and regulatory issues relating to the use of animals, and have a principal role in monitoring the use of animals at Victoria University.
The Animal Welfare Officer is a key position within the research community at Victoria University. The role is responsible for the health and welfare of all animals used in research and teaching. Regulatory oversight and monitoring of the ethics process forms a key element of this role. The AWO is also a primary trainer of the research community and technical staff in animal ethics, health, welfare and legislative obligations.
About the Person
The role requires a person with Veterinary qualifications and extensive knowledge and experience in laboratory animal welfare and ethics management practices. Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and a willingness to contribute to the Animal facilities team are essential.
An example of duties you may perform will include:
- Monitor the use of animals in teaching and research at Victoria University to evaluate : compliance with relevant legislative requirements; consistency with the principles of Replacement, Reduction and Refinement (3Rs); and compliance with the conditions set by the Animal Ethics Committee (AEC)
- Liaise at a high level with key State and Commonwealth authorities, external institutions and organisations to ensure that the University’s information on relevant legislation, policy and practice is current and, where necessary, recommend changes to university policies and procedures.
- Develop and deliver training to the research community and technical staff on animal ethics, welfare, health and regulatory matters.
- Salary sacrifice options
- Professional development opportunities
- Flexible working arrangements available
- Paid study leave
- On-site gym, parking and more!
How to apply:
For a Position Description and to submit an application please visit our website www.vu.edu.au/jobs
Applications must be submitted as a single document comprising;
- A cover letter
- Your CV
- Your responses to the selection criteria listed in the Position Description.
Please note: Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
Position Closes 4.00 pm Friday 25 August 2017