Dining Services - Production Cook
Description of Work Unit
Serve Colorado State University Dining Services with loyalty, competence and professionalism and to expect the same from others; to maintain within our institution the highest standards of service, quality products and food safety and to promote the same standards within the community by personal practice and example. Residential Dining Services sole purpose is to provide Colorado State University students, faculty/staff and the community with a quality food service program.
WORKING AT CSU
Founded in 1870 as the Colorado Agricultural College, Colorado State University is now among the nation’s leading research universities. Fort Collins is an award-winning city located on the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains with the foothills and 14,000-foot peaks visible to residents. Easy access to hiking, skiing, rafting and other outdoor sports is a great advantage to CSU students, faculty and staff.
CSU’s Commitment to Campus offers employees a healthy work-life balance through a wide variety of programs, discounts, and special benefits. This includes Employee Study Privilege (nine free credits per year available through CSU, CSU Global, CSU Online Plus, and University of Northern Colorado), Family Tuition Scholarship Program, Discounted Veterinary Care, Wellness Membership Discounts, Volunteers in Public Schools Leave Program, Athletic Ticket Discounts, and much more! Visit www.facultyandstaff.colostate.edu to learn more about working at CSU.
This position will act as a co-lead cook in this production setting having opening/closing and department-wide responsibilities. This is a fully operational cook preparing/producing foods from an established pre-printed menu and standardized recipes. Responsible for quality, quantity and appearance of foods prepared/served in a cold preparation commissary supplying department-wide needs. Exhibit high level of professionalism and contribute to team effort of a small staff producing high quality salads, sandwiches, side dishes, and more to residential meal plan participants and other dining operations on campus. Some food delivery to dining units may be required.
To be considered for this position applicants must have:
- Two full-time years (24 months) of dining services experience working in a commercial kitchen
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Work experience in a high volume meal prep (500+ meals) food production operation
- Food Safety Certification (i.e. ServSafe, HACCP)
- Experience providing exceptional front-line customer service
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Food Production Duty/Responsibility
- Produce food items for department wide uses in a cold preparation commissary from pre-printed menus using standardized recipes and methods to maintain high quality, nutritional standards, and safety and sanitation regulations
- Food items are produced by the ability to chop, measure, and mix ingredients, etc., by hand or using power operated equipment
- Monitor and restock service areas in express locations by assuring food product quality and availability
- Record/verify temperature control checks (HACCP) and Safety and Sanitation guidelines
- Garnish foods in an attractive manner
- Pull/prepare and produce food items for further use
- Train hourly and other Classified employees to do the same
Percentage Of Time 65 Job Duty Category Food Handling, Menu Management and Inventory Duty/Responsibility
- Properly handle food and supply items by storing, refrigerating, freezing or disposing following safety, sanitation, and operation guidelines
- Assist and learn how to record and access customer counts, food preparation, production, inventory and all other information pertinent to Computrition Menu Management System
- Conduct inventory and orders by gathering data, past and present, to meet the need for future foods and supplies
Percentage Of Time 5 Job Duty Category Sanitation Duty/Responsibility
- Provides input on and assists to clean and sanitize all production and service areas, machinery/equipment, dishes and utensils according to sanitation guidelines and schedules
- Clean and sanitize all production and service areas, machinery/equipment, dishes and utensils according to sanitation guidelines and schedules
- Ensure that HACCP and Safety and Sanitation sheets are in compliance and properly reported
- Instruct, enforce and comply with safety, sanitation, and all applicable policies and regulations
- Train hourly and other Classified employees to perform operational tasks. Check quality of work of the hourly employees
Percentage Of Time 18 Job Duty Category Supply Management Duty/Responsibility
- Organize and pull order and supplies for next day’s production
- Assist in coordinating orders for daily deliveries
- Other duties as assigned
- Train hourly employees to do the same
Percentage Of Time 3 Job Duty Category Kitchen Opening and Closure Duty/Responsibility
- Open kitchen and turn on equipment by exercising safety, sanitation and security procedures
- Close kitchen and shut down equipment by exercising safety, sanitation and security procedures
Percentage Of Time 5 Job Duty Category Meeting Attendance and Other Duties Duty/Responsibility
- Attend assigned meetings and training sessions passing appropriate assessments as applicable (I.e. Dining, Departmental, Unit, ServSafe, Allergy Training, New Employee Training, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned
- Decide when to attend meetings and training that is appropriate to what is required
Percentage Of Time 5 Job Duty Category Customer Service Duty/Responsibility
- Assure established rules and regulations are enforced and followed by colleagues and customers
- Establish and nurture a positive relationship with customers
Percentage Of Time 2
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Clearly document job duties you have performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the Work Experience section on the application. Human Resources must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
- Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that Human Resources can calculate full-time work experience.
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- If an Application is considered “Incomplete”, the Application will be removed from consideration for the position.
- An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- An Application is incomplete if “see resume” (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- Positions requiring a degree or if using education as a substitution for work experience (eg: Associate or Bachelor’s) transcripts are required in order to verify receipt of the required degree or coursework. If official or unofficial transcripts are not supplied at the time of application, the Application is incomplete.
- When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a completed application; however, some positions may still require a resume as a component for complete application materials.
**Please see the Required Documents section of the posting.
- The selection process for State Classified positions may include an exam(s), which requires candidates to physically appear (at the CSU campus in Fort Collins, CO) at the candidates’ own expense.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check the Deleted and Junk folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your Application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Please check the Help link online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/help/ for assistance on your application or for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office HR_Employment@mail.colostate.edu.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Pre-employment Physical - Successfully complete the WorkSteps evaluation., Essential Services Designation - Required to report without delay or interruption to provide essential or emergency services to ensure health, safety, and welfare., Special Requirements/Other - Per CSU HDS food safety training policy, the incumbent must successfully pass the ServSafe certification exam within 6 months of hire date., Valid Driver’s License - motor vehicle background will be pulled
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.