Payroll Accounting Technician
Description of Work Unit
The Payroll/Personnel Services work unit exists to provide personnel, payroll, and budget services to the Facilities Management department
This position exists to provide payroll and personnel services for Facilities Management, which consists of approximately 500 employees.
This position is responsible for ensuring the accuracy of all HR information in Oracle for FM employees and the following Human Resources Processes: processing Leave Without Pay, Worker’s Comp, Family Medical Leave, and New Hire information and terminations in Oracle for Administrative Professionals, State Classified, Student Hourly and Non-Student Hourly employees.
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- Two full-time years (24 months) of technical accounting experience, which included payroll tasks.
Highly sought applicants will have many of the following:
- Experience delivering exceptional customer service to internal and external customers while adhering to complex policy and competing priorities
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Proficiency utilizing MS Word, MS Excel, and a variety computer programs to perform record keeping, data entry and other administrative tasks
- Experience working with sensitive information and adhering to strict confidentiality guidelines
- Ability to use exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Experience processing payroll in a higher education environment
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category General Payroll Processing Duty/Responsibility
- Assists all Payroll Processes within FM for a staff of approximately 500 employees
- Meet with all new employee types to gather necessary paperwork for employment such as the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification and record data in Oracle
- Generate, process and verify pay rate, title and status changes for all employee types in Oracle
- Process all promotions, terminations, retirements and transfers for all employee types
- Ensure proper account number is applied to each employee for proper labor distribution accounting for all Housing and Dining Service departments
- Analyze state and university personnel rules and regulations and their impact on the FM department
- Adjust payroll by appropriately classifying leaves, then calculating and posting: leave without pay, overtime hours, shift differential, on call hours and meal deduction adjustments
- Maintain confidential and accurate personnel records, files and reports for all FM employees
- Insure that all deadlines are met
Percentage Of Time 70% Job Duty Category Reconcilliation of Payroll Records Duty/Responsibility
Record, balance, audit and report sick leave and annual leave earned and used. Report leave usage to supervisors and employees within the department.
- Oversee calculation of stipends and completion of contracts for Graduate Assistants
- Assist all employees in answering HR-related questions and completing forms
- Monitor/determine eligibility of international employees
- Monitor various HR and Payroll reports
- Enter bi-weekly payroll in Oracle
- Create time sheets for quick pays
- Investigate payroll questions
- Process labor re-distributions
- Answer questions and solve problems with the electronic time clock system
- Cross train other employees as needed
Percentage Of Time 30%
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Clearly document job duties you have performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the Work Experience section on the application. Human Resources must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
- Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that Human Resources can calculate full-time work experience.
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- If an Application is considered “Incomplete”, the Application will be removed from consideration for the position.
- An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- An Application is incomplete if “see resume” (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- Positions requiring a degree or if using education as a substitution for work experience (eg: Associate or Bachelor’s) transcripts are required in order to verify receipt of the required degree or coursework. If official or unofficial transcripts are not supplied at the time of application, the Application is incomplete.
- When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a completed application; however, some positions may still require a resume as a component for complete application materials.
**Please see the Required Documents section of the posting.
- The selection process for State Classified positions may include an exam(s), which requires candidates to physically appear (at the CSU campus in Fort Collins, CO) at the candidates’ own expense.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check the Deleted and Junk folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your Application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Please check the Help link online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/help/ for assistance on your application or for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office HR_Employment@mail.colostate.edu.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Special Requirements/Other - Must be willing to sign and adhere to a Confidentiality Statement.
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.