Geographic Information System (GIS) Analyst
Description of Work Unit
CEMML is a research, education and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at Colorado State University (CSU). CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense (DoD) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within CSU to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations.
To learn more about CEMML’s contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, visit http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/.
A Geographic Information System (GIS) Analyst (Research Associate II Special)
position is available with the Center for Environmental Management of Military
Lands (CEMML). The duty location is Vandenberg Air Force Base, CA. This position will require occasional travel, up to a week in duration, to supported Air Force Bases. The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the United States by proposed start date. CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Relocation expenses are NOT available for this position.
Required Job Qualifications
- The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the United States by proposed start date. CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
- Minimum of a BS or BA degree in computer science, information technology, geographic information systems, geography, environmental science, or related field and three years of demonstrated related work experience is required; course work will not be included.
- He or she must have demonstrated work experience applying spatial data standards and maintaining metadata.
- The successful applicant shall demonstrate experience in all of the following: environmental-related GIS, Esri’s ArcGIS software, cartography, and data development and maintenance.
- Other required qualifications are the ability to work independently, take initiative to resolve issues, and demonstrate superior verbal and written communication skills.
- He or she must be able to pass the DoD background check for a Common Access Card (CAC). Furthermore, candidates are required at a minimum to complete a NACI/SF85 and successfully pass a federal background check to remain eligible for employment by CSU. No Foreign nationals shall be employed without prior approval of the Government.
- Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license by the employment start date.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Desired qualifications include experience working in a highly structured organization and demonstrated knowledge of military instructions, directives, guidance, and environmental regulations and processes.
- Demonstrated work experience with the U.S. Air Force GeoBase program, Spatial Data Standards for Facility, Infrastructure, and Environment (SDSFIE), and International Organization Standardization (ISO) or Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) metadata standards is preferred. Existing National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI) is highly desired.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Database Management Duty/Responsibility
The GIS Analyst will coordinate and manage the standardization of
environmental spatial data for four U.S. Air Force Bases. The successful
candidate will work independently with remote supervision and be responsible for multiple installations’ environmental spatial data.
Percentage Of Time 50% Job Duty Category Data Analysis Duty/Responsibility
The GIS analyst will be responsible for collection and evaluation of existing spatial data in various environmental programs at bases within their area of responsibility. Ensure spatial data meets standard metadata and attribute requirements, as well as prepare documents including but not limited to spatial data gap analysis and quality assurance reports.
Percentage Of Time 30% Job Duty Category Consultation Duty/Responsibility
Provide GIS support as needed to environmental programs managers within their area of responsibility.
Percentage Of Time 15% Job Duty Category Data Collection and Reporting Duty/Responsibility
Perform field data collection using Global Positioning Systems (GPS), rectify aerial photography, digitize features from imagery, and utilize environmental reports for data development.
Percentage Of Time 5%
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. Apply no later than August 13, 2017, for full consideration. Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. Please remove social security numbers and birthdates from application materials. A complete application consists of:
Statement of Qualifications (one page letter addressing each qualification described in announcement)
- Transcripts (for each degree earned that is listed under qualifications)
- Degree Conferral (copy of diploma if transcripts do not include confirmation that degree was awarded)
- Three references (contact information for professional references including at least one supervisor, references will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates)
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License
Search Contact Jacie Ullrich firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.