Applications Automation Developer
Description of Work Unit
Provide computer information systems software analysis, design, development, testing and implementation services to university administrative clients.
Experienced level developer position located in CSU’s central Information Systems Department. Position will work on teams in the IS Department involved in application software development and ongoing support of CSU’s central administrative systems.
This position provides support, development, analysis, and implementation of batch process flows in the University’s Scheduling system for core administrative ERP systems (Student, Finance, HR, integrations and other miscellaneous systems). ERP systems rely on the scheduling system to integrate separate ERP systems, handle cross system constraints/dependencies and the timely successful completion of all components
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or closely related area; plus 5 years of development experience supporting enterprise-level applications.
- At least 3 years professional experience with enterprise-level job scheduling/application automation systems.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and experience with scripting (KSH, BSH, Perl, SQL).
- Experience working in a team environment with strong collaboration skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience and skills with analysis, evaluation and applying professional judgment.
- Working knowledge of all phases of the software development lifecycle (SDLC).
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Knowledge and experience with UNIX, Linux, node.js, Python, and Oracle PL/SQL.
- Prior knowledge and work experience with Automic Application Manager Job Scheduling System.
- Knowledge of Vista Plus or similar document/report management software package(s).
- Knowledge of project management best practices.
- Experience designing/developing API’s and RESTful web services.
- Familiarity with Ellucian Banner/ODS and/or Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS).
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Enterprise Applications Automation Analysis, Development, and Support Duty/Responsibility
- Provide analysis, development and support related to applications/workload automation for CSU’s central administrative systems: Banner student modules, Operational Data Store (ODS), Data Warehouse, Oracle HR system, and Kuali Financial and Research systems.
- This is achieved by analyzing vendor, developer and/or stakeholder specifications, assessing the impact of requested new functionality or modifications, applying standards, guidelines and precedents, and developing, testing and modifying report scheduling process flows, jobs/modules, and script language programs to meet production scheduling requirements.
- Troubleshoot issues related to production schedules and escalate when appropriate to internal staff, customer or vendor.
- Analyze application processes and recommends/implements improvements. -Provide advice and training to other IS staff regarding job scheduling module creation, maintenance and execution. Assist with process flow and job /module scheduling as required.
Percentage Of Time 40 Job Duty Category Software Patches, Upgrades, and Testing Duty/Responsibility
- Perform patch and upgrade testing of CSU’s enterprise applications automation software, in this case UC4’s Application Manager software. Scope includes the main Application Manager software and additional vendor agents for the Banner student system and Oracle HR system. Analyzes and recommends whether/when to install software patches and upgrades, and participates in installation. Code is tested comprehensively at multiple levels of integration, and requires coordination with appropriate IS teams and stakeholders.
- May log issues and communicate with vendor in the course of installing and testing software patches and upgrades.
Percentage Of Time 10 Job Duty Category Secure Data File Transfer Development, Testing, and Implementation Duty/Responsibility
- Based on specifications and requirements from IS systems administrators and external vendors, performs development, testing, and implementation of secure file transfers as part of enterprise applications automation responsibilities. An example is secure file transfers between the HR system and benefits vendors.
- Interfaces closely with IS systems administrators once communication layer and encryption are in place, and completes development of scripts and prompts to execute secure file transfer. Utilizes SFTP file transfer protocol and other processes or protocols.
- Interfaces with vendors, stakeholders and other IS staff to test file transfers before implementing in production. Majority of file transfers involve sensitive or protected data and thus security must be maintained.
- Provides first line of contact to troubleshoot file transfer issues, and fixes or recommends solutions to resolve issues.
Percentage Of Time 10 Job Duty Category Production Support of Job Processes Duty/Responsibility
- Provide analyst and developer-level support of scheduled production process flows and jobs, sometimes outside of the normal working hours. Scope includes Banner student modules, Operational Data Store (ODS), Data Warehouse, Oracle HR system, and Kuali Financial and Research systems. Nightly production schedule entails approximately 800 separate process flows and 3,000 jobs, often including complex dependencies and logic to ensure correct conditions exist before execution. -Identify and correct the cause of job failures and implement the most appropriate solution to expedite the completion of the production schedules. Advise other staff members in solving complex production issues.
Percentage Of Time 15 Job Duty Category Technology Investigation and Evaluation Duty/Responsibility
- Investigates and identifies components that should be incorporated so process flows function accurately and efficiently. In Applications Manager this can include effective use of objects such as job parameters, automating retrieval of values from databases to eliminate data entry errors, queues to control load on systems, and output devices to distribute output.
- Participates in investigating new technologies and functionality related to job scheduling, file transfers, application automation, API’s (restful, soap, etc) and other areas requested by management. An example is investigating use of web services technology to enhance application integration.
- Perform evaluation activities as warranted and make recommendations to management regarding applicability and value.
Percentage Of Time 15 Job Duty Category Project Support Duty/Responsibility
- Support internal and external stakeholder projects by ensuring all related application automation components are in place and functioning accurately and efficiently. Examples of such projects are migrations of applications and databases to the new Linux platform, and a major upgrade of the Banner student system to version 9.
- Create efficient processes to replicate the production job schedule for regression testing. Providing a solid test bed will improve the quality of delivered project to stakeholders.
Percentage Of Time 10
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure full consideration, please apply by 8-14-2017 11:59 p.m. (MST) with a cover letter addressing the required and preferred qualifications, resume and three professional references.
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), On-call Status, Travel - Occasional travel for training, conferences, and other professional development
Search Contact Pat Spooner, 970-491-1587, email@example.com
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.