Lab Manager, SDM Restorative Sciences/Biomaterials
Basic purpose and responsibilities: To ensure the safe and accurate operation of the Biomaterials Laboratory; this includes the operation of a state-of-the art scanning electron microscope, Instron Universal Testing machine and other lab equipment as well as the supervision and training of technicians, postdocs and students in the proper use of equipment and safety of the lab. Must be able to design and fabricate holders for mechanical testing, optical scanning, sectioning and embedding. Be able to periodically analyze equipment malfunctions to determine if they are operator correctable. Be able to judge whether or not tests were conducted in a valid manner. Be able to put together equipment for student research projects which require modifications or repairs to existing equipment. Must be able to teach students effectively to overcome problems with testing methodology. Regular job duties:
- Oversee and direct personnel in the safe operation of lab equipment.
- Operate and maintain scanning electron microscope.
- Operate Instron universal testing machine.
- Prepare samples for scanning and instron machine.
- Compute, tabulate, record, and reproduce lab data and notes.
- Design and fabricate jigs and fixtures for specimen testing.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and ensure safety.
- Research, identify and advise on purchase of equipment and supplies.
- Prepare Power Point slides for departmental faculty and students.
- Photomicrography and macrophotography.
- Proctoring exams for Biomaterials and other departments as needed.
- Maintain inventory of supplies, chemicals, etc.
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly and annual laboratory upkeep and records keeping.
Qualifications and Experience required: BA/BS in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science or equivalent. Familiarity and competence with SEM, optical microscope, universal testing machine, metallographic specimen preparation, weighing technique, measuring instruments, hand and power tools including drill press and lathe. Other skills including but not limited to writing operating instructions, laboratory procedures, would be appreciated.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.