In the Technologies department (TE), Accelerator Beam Transfer group (ABT), you will take part in the construction, installation, exploitation, operation and maintenance of fast pulsed magnet (kicker) systems in all CERN accelerators for injection and extraction.
- Supervise the LHC beam dump kicker system including spare parts and subassemblies and install equipment in tunnels and underground galleries;
- Perform maintenance work of the kickers systems within safety rules;
- Contribute to the refurbishment and/or the construction of new equipment by providing and maintaining specific tooling, and assisting mechanical designers for upgrade studies;
- Prepare and follow-up manufacturing of components, both at CERN and with external firms;
- Contribute to prototyping work and measurements preparation work;
- Write and regularly update technical procedures.
Technical certificate or higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience, in the field of electromechanical engineering or a related field.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
You have demonstrated experience in the construction of prototypes as well as in the assembly and maintenance of complex high voltage equipment. Furthermore, you have extensive experience in mechanical assembly of high power semiconductor components, high current electrical connections and in the manufacturing of high voltage cable connectors. In addition, you are used to writing technical procedures for electromechanical systems.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Installation & dismantling of electro-mechanical equipment.
- Commissioning & maintenance of electro-mechanical equipment.
- Commissioning, maintenance & operation of power systems.
- Gluing, welding, brazing.
- Precision assembly and construction.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Building Relationships.
- Working in Teams.
- Working in the Interest of the Organization.
- Demonstrating Flexibility.
- Demonstrating Accountability.
- Managing Self.
- Achieving Results.
- Communicating Effectively.
- Solving Problems.
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge.
The language competencies required are:
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date
Staff members holding a limited duration contract, ending on or later than 31.12.2017, having successfully completed their probation period.
Assessment criteria: Candidates will be assessed based on the criteria set out in §§ 56 and 62 of Administrative Circular No.2 (Rev. 7).
Closing date for applications: 31.08.2017 at noon Geneva time.
Note on Employment Conditions
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
The following special conditions may be required in the future, depending on the need of the Organization:
- Shift work.
- Stand-by duty.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
At a later stage, where required, the holder of an indefinite contract may have to undertake special working hours, as well as work in Radiation Areas.
The holder of an indefinite contract is expected to progress in this initial assignment or in other domains as required for the fulfilment of the Organization's mission.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.