Accelerator/Industrial Process Operations Technical Engineer
In the Beams department (BE), Operations group (OP), you will take responsibility for the operation of one of the accelerators in the LHC injector Complex (PSB, PS, SPS). You will oversee the setting up, optimisation and the delivery of beam to the associated experimental facilities and the LHC and ensure that safety rules are met for personnel and machine.
- Ensure all aspects of operation of one or more of the LHC injectors (PSB, PS, SPS);
- Coordinate, as shift leader, the operations crew assigned to one or more of the LHC injectors;
- Guarantee the application of safety rules for interventions on accelerator equipment;
- Take actively part in the recommissioning of the accelerator complex, hardware and beam, after technical stops and longs shut-downs;
- Optimise the overall performance of one or more of the machines in the LHC injector complex;
- Adjust machine operating conditions to meet user requirements;
- Prepare and implement together with accelerator physicists and engineers upgrades and take part in machine development sessions to improve the reliability and quality of the beam in one or more of the LHC injector chain's machines;
- Develop either hardware or software components for accelerator subsystems in collaboration with external teams.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience, in the field of physics, information technologies, electronics engineering, electrical engineering, electromechanical engineering, mechanical engineering or a related field.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
You have demonstrated experience in operating one of CERN's accelerators, as well as a thorough knowledge on their hardware systems and associated controls software. You have a good knowledge of the underlying physics of beam-based operation of accelerators. Furthermore, you have demonstrated experience in the field of physics, computing, electronics, electricity or electromechanics.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Accelerator operation.
- Accelerator performance analysis & optimization.
- Safety conformity assessment.
- Knowledge of accelerator physics theory; in particular knowledge to understand the operational processes.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Building Relationships.
- Working in Teams.
- Working in the Interest of the Organization.
- Demonstrating Flexibility.
- Demonstrating Accountability.
- Managing Self.
- Achieving Results.
- Communicating Effectively.
- Solving Problems.
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge.
The language competencies required are:
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date
Staff members holding a limited duration contract, ending on or later than 31.12.2017, having successfully completed their probation period.
Assessment criteria: Candidates will be assessed based on the criteria set out in §§ 56 and 62 of Administrative Circular No.2 (Rev. 7).
Closing date for applications: 31.08.2017 at noon Geneva time.
Note on Employment Conditions
These functions require:
- Shift work, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
At a later stage, where required, the holder of an indefinite contract may have to undertake special working hours, as well as work in Radiation Areas.
The holder of an indefinite contract is expected to progress in this initial assignment or in other domains as required for the fulfilment of the Organization's mission.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.