Electromechanical Technical Engineer
In the Technology department (TE), Accelerator Beam Transfer group (ABT), you will take responsibility for the construction, performance, operation and equipment improvement of magnetic septa and extraction protection devices across the CERN accelerator complex and future projects.
- Carry out technical design of septa mangets: making the necessary calculations, choosing magnetic materials, conceiving maintenance procedures as well as writing technical specifications;
- Identify partners in industry and follow up on contracts;
- Supervise the construction and assembly of septa magnets (under/outside vacuum conditions) and their extraction protection elements;
- Carry out the technical supervision of septa operation and their protection elements across the accelerator complex, including the refurbishment and repair of existing equipment;
- Participate in the design and R&D of magnetic septa for CERN's accelerators and future accelerator studies.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience, in the field of electromechanical engineering or a related field.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
You have demonstrated experience in electromagnetic design of systems/equipment. Furthermore, you have an extensive experience in the assembly and maintenance of under vacuum magnets or electromechanical systems. In addition, you have initial experience in project planning and project lifecycle documentation.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Electro-mechanical testing.
- Electromagnetic calculation & modelling.
- Electro-mechanical construction.
- Design and construction of septum magnets.
- Operation and maintenance of septum magnets.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Building Relationships.
- Working in Teams.
- Working in the Interest of the Organization.
- Demonstrating Flexibility.
- Demonstrating Accountability.
- Managing Self.
- Achieving Results.
- Communicating Effectively.
- Solving Problems.
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge.
The language competencies required are:
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date
Staff members holding a limited duration contract, ending on or later than 31.12.2017, having successfully completed their probation period.
Assessment criteria: Candidates will be assessed based on the criteria set out in §§ 56 and 62 of Administrative Circular No.2 (Rev. 7).
Closing date for applications: 31.08.2017 at noon Geneva time.
Note on Employment Conditions
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Residence in the immediate vicinity of the Organization's installations.
- A valid driving licence.
At a later stage, where required, the holder of an indefinite contract may have to undertake special working hours, as well as work in Radiation Areas.
The holder of an indefinite contract is expected to progress in this initial assignment or in other domains as required for the fulfilment of the Organization's mission.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.