In the Information Technology department (IT), you will develop, implement, test, operate, maintain and evolve (parts of) computing systems, platforms, services, applications, networks, and software packages in the domains of IT and data acquisition (DAQ) and controls.
- Model and design computing hardware, software, networks, telecommunications and/or audiovisual equipment:
- Capturing users' requirements;
- Advising on suitable technical solutions, including on financial aspects;
- Implement and configure computing hardware, software, networks, telecommunications and/or audiovisual equipment:
- Contributing to hardware procurement, ordering suitable equipment, participating in the drafting of specifications and in tendering processes;
- Test and deploy computing hardware, networks, telecommunications and/or audiovisual equipment:
- Testing, installing and configuring solutions based on supported technologies;
- Managing subcontracted work (scheduling, organisation and supervision) as well as the associated budget;
- Support, maintain and enhance computing hardware, software, networks, telecommunications and/or audiovisual equipment:
- Providing support (typically 2nd and 3rd-line, sometimes 1st-line expert support);
- Monitoring system performance, and carrying out diagnostics;
- Developing applications (e.g. for performance monitoring);
- Provide technical expertise as and when required;
- Document installations and call-outs, drafting operational procedures.
Technical certificate or higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience, in the field of information technologies or a related field.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
You have demonstrated experience in at least one of the following three areas:
- As an audio-visual supporter for conference rooms:
- Operating and maintaining the conference and meeting rooms in a large environment with hundreds of rooms and auditoria.
- Proven competencies in film shooting, sound recording, lighting, public address, projection and interpreting facilities, video mixers, editing, computing networks, streaming and encoding software tools.
- As a hardware and procurement specialist:
- PC and Mac hardware selection, evaluation and system integration process, writing technical specifications, identifying and proposing process improvements. CERN tendering procedure experience, writing tender documents and performing evaluation and compliance tests of the selected models.
- As a network and telecom deployment specialist:
- Installation and configuration of network and telecom active equipment including routers, switches and repeaters for mobile telephony or TETRA systems.
- Planning and supervision of subcontracted cabling work, ensuring that administrative and safety procedures are respected.
In addition, you have extensive experience in:
- Capturing and interpreting requirements and offering solutions in line with CERN standards;
- Coordinating between stakeholders: clients, support teams, vendors and contractors;
- Streamlining procedures and documenting implemented solutions.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Customer Relationship Management.
- Requirements definition and management.
- Systems design.
- Systems installation/decommissioning.
- IT Operations.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Building Relationships.
- Working in Teams.
- Working in the Interest of the Organization.
- Demonstrating Flexibility.
- Demonstrating Accountability.
- Managing Self.
- Achieving Results.
- Communicating Effectively.
- Solving Problems.
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge.
The language competencies required are:
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date
Staff members holding a limited duration contract, ending on or later than 31.12.2017, having successfully completed their probation period.
Assessment criteria: candidates will be assessed based on the criteria set out in §§ 56 and 62 of Administrative Circular No.2 (Rev. 7).
Closing date for applications: 31.08.2017 at noon Geneva time.
Note on Employment Conditions
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
The following special condition(s) may be required in the future, depending on the need of the Organization:
- Stand-by duty.
At a later stage, where required, the holder of an indefinite contract may have to undertake special working hours, as well as work in Radiation Areas.
The holder of an indefinite contract is expected to progress in this initial assignment or in other domains as required for the fulfilment of the Organization's mission.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.