Research Associate / Research Fellow in Mathematics and Statistics
- 1 year fixed term appointment
- Level A/B position: $67,352 - $114,250 per annum
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top Australian universities and a member of the prestigious Group of Eight research-intensive universities ranked among the top 100 universities in the world.
About the work area
You will be working in the Centre for the Mathematics of Symmetry and Computation (www.cmsc.uwa.edu.au) within the School of Mathematics and Statistics.
The appointee will conduct research, on the UWA main campus in Crawley, Perth, in the Centre for the Mathematics of Symmetry and Computation. Your research is funded by an ARC Discovery grant with chief investigators Emeritus Prof. Cheryl E. Praeger AM FAA, and Dr Stephen Glasby. The grant focusses on using symmetry to gain insight into finite geometries and analysing densities of certain matrices in matrix groups (symplectic, unitary, orthogonal).
You will also assist in supervising final year undergraduate, Master and PhD students working on aspects of symmetry, combinatorics, or finite geometry. You are expected to participate in the Groups and Combinatorics seminar and the CMSC research retreat.
To be considered for this position you will need to demonstrate:
- A PhD in Mathematics
- Knowledge of group theory especially matrix groups is essential, and knowledge of finite geometry and combinatorics is desirable.
- Experience in writing and publishing papers in high impact journals.
- The ability to establish and maintain international collaborations with leading international experts.
- The desire to assist in supervising final year undergraduates, Master and PhD students working on aspects of symmetry, combinatorics or finite geometry.
Closing date: 1 September 2017
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Please see the position description prior to applying: 307253.pdf
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion of the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.