Associate Director - Alumni Relations, Communications and Marketing
The purpose of Development and Institute Relations (DIR) is to foster a thriving and engaged community of support for Caltech. By connecting the people who share and support Caltech’s mission and values, we will ensure the Institute receives the necessary resources to achieve Caltech’s aspirations and sustain its excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship in perpetuity. DIR team members embrace and uphold the values of diversity, integrity, respect, focus, and pride.
The Caltech Alumni Association (CAA) celebrates the unique value and character of the Caltech experience and empowers the alumni community to thrive and connect with Caltech and each other.
In service to Caltech and the alumni community, we desire the following long-range outcomes for alumni engagement at Caltech:
- Caltech is engaged with all alumni.
- Alumni are valued and celebrated by the Institute.
- Alumni add value to and promote the Institute.
- Alumni are well-served by and of service to the Institute.
- Caltech’s alumni are well-informed by and have a clear voice at the Institute.
- Alumni contribute to the quality of student life at the Institute.
- Students and alumni see themselves as part of a lifelong Caltech community.
The Alumni Relations team helps engage Caltech alumni in mutually beneficial, lifelong relationships with Caltech and with each other. Reporting to the Executive Director, Caltech Alumni Association/Director of Alumni Relations, the Associate Director, Alumni Relations, Marketing & Communications will be responsible for creating and enhancing the communications of the Caltech Alumni Association. This communications leader can execute with excellence multiple tactical and strategic projects simultaneously, with various stakeholders, on budget, and on time.
- Plan, design, and produce a communication strategy across internal and external media channels to help create a narrative around lifelong community, celebrate diverse alumni stories and achievements, and help students see themselves as future alumni.
- Collaborate with alumni relations team to develop and execute marketing campaigns and collateral to promote the programs of the Caltech Alumni Association. Drive increased awareness and participation among both alumni and students at CAA events and offerings.
- Serve as the editor and project manager of Techer, the Alumni Association’s annual print publication, devoted to stories about Caltech alumni. Translate print magazine to web.
- Utilize digital storytelling including video, shorts, illustrations, and infographics to talk to, with, and about alumni.
- Create content for multiple alumni publications—from print, email, alumni and Institute websites, student newspaper, to social media platforms.
- Research, gather, and publish alumni impact stories across a variety of channels.
- Develop strategy to engage audience and foster a robust community through social media channels including Facebook presences; YouTube; Instagram, Slack, etc.
- Serve as project manager and marketer for alumni surveys.
- Oversee and streamline the pipeline of event invitations and communications.
- Ensure consistent branding, messaging, and content across alumni publications and platforms.
- Track, report, and analyze communications metrics. Evaluate effectiveness of implemented communication strategies to adjust and revise as required for sustained improvement.
- Produce compelling and crisp internal and external presentations, messaging, visuals, and reports for CAA Executive Director and CAA President.
- Oversee and enhance the alumni website—create new pages, microsites, and content for alumni.caltech.edu
- Develop, support and help market webinars and podcasts with alumni, campus leaders, students, and professors.
- Design advertisements, flyers and promotional materials.
- Promote dialogue and conversations among alumni and with the Institute. Help build and market communities and networks including affinity and discussion groups.
- Help launch and market mentoring and volunteer platforms.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Manage and develop a communications coordinator.
- Manage outside vendors including writers and designers, including bid collection.
- Develop and manage comprehensive program budget.
- Represent CAA / Alumni Relations on campus
- Collaborate with colleagues within Development & Institute Relations, Strategic Communications, and across campus.
- Develop and grow a network of internal and external contacts to identify and address Alumni Communications needs and channels of distribution.
- Staff select alumni events (ex. Board Meetings, Seminar Day, etc.) which take place on weekends or evenings.
- BS degree or equivalent in communications or a related field plus five years of related experience.
- Exceptional writing and storytelling skills.
- Proficiency in web publishing, electronic marketing, social media, and data analytics. Ability to quickly learn new tools a must.
- Strong project management and consultative skills, including the ability to work independently and collaboratively, manage multiple projects, and prioritize based on business impact. Ability to organize/prioritize work and meet absolute deadlines within a fast paced environment with multiple and competing demands.
- Ability to work with flexibility, efficiency, enthusiasm, and diplomacy both individually and as part of a complex team; adept at dealing with ambiguity and a changing work environment.
- Experience producing quality print and electronic publications and utilizing a variety of communication vehicles.
- Experienced user Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or equivalent graphics software.
- Skilled in web publishing and web distribution of video/audio content.
- Ability to travel and to work occasionally on weekends and evenings.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Experience in a higher-education or non-proﬁt setting.
- Knowledge of Caltech.
- Curiosity and interest in STEM and its global as well as societal impact.
- Experience with digital storytelling.
Supervisory position? Yes
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 06/21/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled No
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.