Repository librarian in the Research and Computing Sector (RCS) Scientific Information Service Group (SIS).
You will join the Research and Computing Sector, where the Scientific Information Service supports scientists at CERN and beyond to make their own content available and to find any information they need for their research. The Scientific Information Services is responsible for the curation of the content and facilitates to make a maximum of the scientific artifacts available open access under Creative Common licenses.
As repository librarian in the Library section, together with senior members of the team, you will act as the main liaison between the Library and the CERN experiments for what concerns ingestion of the scientific production in the repositories; you will supervise and operate the harvesting of metadata and files from external systems and participate in the curation and enrichment of the data, you will give input to design/revision of submission forms and the corresponding data structure; you will coordinate digitization of legacy content; you will take part in regular library operations and you will have the opportunity to support and mentor the junior cataloguers at the core of the team.
As repository librarian in the Library section you will:
- Take responsibility for the entire ingestion and curation of the CERN scientific output in the institutional repository (CDS).
- Take part in the cross-laboratories curation team operating the Inspire repository and participate in its coordination.
- Contribute to the documentation of procedures, design of workflows and definition and evolution of data structures.
- Monitor the ingestion workflows for new and existing service features.
- Articulate technical solutions and ensure compliance with CDS and Inspire requirements.
- Coach junior cataloguers to curate documents in accordance with modern standards and methods.
- Participate as needed in standard library operations and services.
Bachelor or Master's degree in Librarianship / Information science, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Solid repository experience, preferably from an academic environment.
- Track-record with work-flow design (submission forms, harvesting, integration with third party services).
- Familiarity with data exchange protocols.
- Experience in supervision of a small team would be an advantage.
- Experience in dealing with copyright and licenses issues.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Digital curation: a deep understanding of data structures and formats (JSON, MARCXML).
- Library and documentation management.
- Digitizing collections.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; proposing ways to improve or streamline existing procedures, processes and methodologies.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Achieving results: dividing extensive work / projects into manageable sub-tasks with clearly defined milestones; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
The language competencies required for this post are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to draw up technical texts.
- Willingness to learn French.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 22.08.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.