- Full Time
Description of Work Unit
At the CSU VTH, we exist to educate the next generation of veterinarians by providing exceptional veterinary care and service to the community…every day. This work unit exists to care for the basic needs of animal at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, and to provide routine disinfection and service to all areas of the hospital, which serves as a teaching facility for veterinary students, as a medical facility for veterinary research, and as a public animal health clinic for exotic, large and small animals.
This Animal Care I position exists to perform animal care duties for the Critical Care Unit, Small Animal Medicine Isolation Unit and Urgent Care areas at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital. These duties will include providing basic animal care and assistance for both veterinary doctors, students and technicians, and maintaining a sanitary environment through cleaning of cages and any surface the animal might touch.
One year of experience caring for, feeding, or providing health care for animals in a veterinary hospital, laboratory, breeding, or boarding facility.
The highly desired candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, abilities, personal characteristics, and experience directly related and critical to this position:
- Knowledge of and ability to properly handle animals.
- Demonstrated knowledge of animal care.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to identify abnormalities related to animal care (ie: observing feces/urine, behavior, blood, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Assistance with Patient Care Duty/Responsibility
- Feed, water, medicate, bed, exercise, and observe animals in assigned areas (Critical Care and Urgent Care Unites) with oversight and/or supervision of the nursing staff.
- Monitor animals for signs of distress, abnormal behaviors, or increased signs of illness.
- Observe urine output and feces.
- Report any problems or concerns to clinicians, students, and/or nursing staff.
- Transport non-ambulatory patients (typically involves disconnecting and reconnecting patients to IV fluid pump and equipment).
- Walk ambulatory patients (typically involves disconnecting and reconnecting patients to IV fluid pump and equipment).
- Set up and break down patient cage/isolation holding area (ie: moving equipment and supplies, discarding/breaking down IV fluid pump and lines, a-line equipment and EKGs).
- Stock patient care supplies through the assigned areas.
- Assist clinicians, students, and nursing staff with medical procedures and treatments with restraint and animal holding technique.
- Obtain supplies from central supply as needed.
- Apply and remove e-collars on assigned patients.
- Transport pathogen samples as needed.
Percentage Of Time 45% Job Duty Category Maintenance of Animal Holding Areas Duty/Responsibility
- Clean and disinfect cages, runs, exam/treatment tables, and gurneys within the Critical Care Unit (CCU) and Urgent Care (UC) to maintain sanitary conditions to prevent dieses transmission.
- Scrub surfaces to remove blood, feces, hair, tissue, urine, vomit, etc.
- Scrub and clean dirty cat/dog dishes and restock when cleaned.
- Run soiled laundry through the washer and dryer.
- Stock assigned areas with animal care supplies such as, but not limited to, pet food, cat litter, bedding, etc.
Percentage Of Time 30% Job Duty Category Containment of Infectious Holding Areas Duty/Responsibility
- Ensure containment of infectious disease cases by cleaning and disinfecting the cages and clinical work areas of CCU, Small Animal Medicine Isolation (SAM Iso) and UC (ie: use special cleaning detergents and disinfectants as well as special cleaning procedures when a patient has an infectious disease.)
- Ensure containment and prevent the spread of infectious disease by performing proper disinfection protocols within CCU Isolation and SAM Iso wards by spraying the entire room including walls, cages, canisters, floors, trash, laundry bins, etc.
Percentage Of Time 10% Job Duty Category Custodial Care Duty/Responsibility
- Clean and disinfect surfaces such as cabinets, counters, and sinks.
- Pull and remove recycle and trash.
- Sweep and mop all floors with disinfectant throughout the entire assigned area removing blood, feces, hair, urine, vomit, etc.
- Machine scrub floors monthly to maintain a clean and sanitary appearance.
- Stock all assigned areas with custodial supplies such as, but not limited to, clean laundry, paper towels, soap, disinfectant, gloves, etc.
Percentage Of Time 15%
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Clearly document job duties performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the “Work Experience” section on the application. We must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
- Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that we can calculate full-time experience.
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- If an Application is considered “Incomplete”, the application will be removed from consideration for the position.
- An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- An Application is incomplete if “see resume” (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening. **Please see the “Required Documents” section of the posting.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a complete application; however, resumes may still be required as a component of complete application materials.
- The selection process for State Classified positions may include an exam(s), which often requires candidates to physically appear (at the CSU campus in Fort Collins, CO) at the candidates’ own expense.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from email@example.com. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check in your Junk and Deleted folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Please check the “Help” link online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/help/ for assistance on your application or for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office at the main phone line: 970-491-MyHR (6947).
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Essential Services Designation - Required to report without delay or interruption to provide essential or emergency services to ensure health, safety and welfare., Shift Work - 3 - 11pm Monday through Friday, Special Requirements/Other - Must be available to work holidays at supervisor's discretion.
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Employment and Appeal Rights
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination. Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director’s Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director’s Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb.
A standard appeal form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.