Conference & Event Manager
3 days left
- Full Time
Description of Work Unit
Colorado State University (CSU) invites applications for the position of Conference and Event Manager for Conference & Event Services (CES). CES manages an average of 150 programs each year ranging in size from 10 to 7,000 participants. Located an hour north of the Denver metro area, Fort Collins is a culturally vibrant and progressive community of 161,000. The city sits on the Front Range of the Rocky Mountain foothills with views of 14,000-foot peaks and offers access to numerous outdoor opportunities.
The Conference and Event Manager is a full-time, year-round position that delivers management for an active year-round operation that directly provides one-stop shop contracting for a myriad of conference and event services including logistical management, facility rental, registration services and financial administration for both on- and off- campus programs. A full line of services and CSU facilities are offered to both internal constituencies and external clients. This position is expected to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with a variety of departments across CSU and the local community. In addition, the Manager will act as an ambassador to guests for the University and CES. Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. This position is responsible for setting goals for a student Conference Assistant, assessing their performance and providing feedback and making pay recommendations.
This position manages all contractual matters and financial obligations including facility procurement and budget preparation for 25-35 events per year including 10-15 with an initial proposal and sales component. This position will manage all event meals and catering, on-campus lodging arrangements, off-campus hotel contracts as well as any other off-campus vendors, function space, transportation and all other services for each group. Furthermore, the Conference and Event Manager will advise, counsel, and negotiate logistical details with campus departments including housing and dining administration, Lory Student Center Event Planning Office and community partners and as well as provide on-site and on-call assistance throughout the event.
The Conference and Event Manager models excellence and excitement for the profession and has the talent to incorporate best practices into the organizational culture. To be successful, the individual must possess outstanding interpersonal skills with an understanding of the elements of providing exceptional customer service, problem-solving and have the ability to administer and execute several programs simultaneously in a highly professional manner. The individual must have a strong background in communication, attention to detail and negotiation tactics. Additionally, the individual must have ability to manage conflicts and crisis situations as well as design and implement real-time contingency plans. This position should expect to work outside of the standard University business hours, including time beyond 40 hours, during the summer season. This is an Administrative Professional that reports directly to the Director of CES and is an exempt position.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in hospitality, tourism, business management and/or related field
- A minimum of two (2) years of conference and/or event management experience as primary responsibility
- Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license or access to a licensed driver by the employment start date
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Experience coordinating conferences and/or events on a college campus
- CMP or CCEP certification
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple projects, prioritize work to maximize productivity and respond effectively to change
- Demonstrated understanding of the recreation, tourism, hotel and resort management industries
- Experience in conference and/or event sales and marketing
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Experience serving in an on-call capacity
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Event Mangement Duty/Responsibility
- Manage all aspects of 25-35 events per year including initial proposal, securing appropriate resources on- and off- campus, contracting, budgeting, coordination, on-site assistance, final invoice preparation and account closing
- Respond to prospective inquiries, develop rates packages, initiate reservations, conduct campus tours, and manage several facility calendars
- Evaluate requirements for each program and identify, locate and schedule appropriate facilities and other necessary resources, and understand and follow CSU policies and procedures when committing University resources
- Recommend and execute procurement of resources required to support event objectives
- Identify insurance, safety, policy concerns and connect with appropriate University personnel on issues and exceptions
- Maintain strategic relationships and partnerships with various campus constituencies and with business entities to collaborate, implement and promote use of Conference and Event Services and CSU facilities
- Communicate regularly through multiple methods (phone, email, forms, calendars, in-person meetings) with clients and partners (on- and off-campus) to confirm program schedules and logistics
- Implement project management strategies for staffing efficiencies as well as select, train, supervise and evaluate student Conference Assistant staff
- Provide on-call management and oversight during event entire event duration
Percentage Of Time 50% Job Duty Category Contract and Financial Management Duty/Responsibility
- Negotiate service contracts between Colorado State University CES and client including determining CES service pricing and accurately quoting other university resources
- Develop and maintain individual program budgets up to 1 million dollars
- Setup and maintain all event documentation including final invoicing and account closure
- Provide financial revenue and expense reporting information to CES management
Percentage Of Time 30% Job Duty Category Registration Management Duty/Responsibility
- Prepare and maintain a customized event registration management event website as requested by the client
- Respond to requests for modifications as well as design and approve registration forms, confirmation processes and related information
- Monitor and evaluate event registrations as well as a financial event account including all revenues and expenses for the event and prepare detailed reports for client approval
- Review on- and off- campus vendor agreements as requested by the client and set-up method of vendor payments
- Manage on-site registration and preparation including material preparation and staffing
- Reconcile individual event financial accounts by calculating total revenue and expenditures, initiate distribution of funds to service providers, and generate closing statements resulting in invoices or refunds to clients
Percentage Of Time 10% Job Duty Category Administration Duty/Responsibility
- Make recommendations to develop and monitor process protocol, policies, procedures, and evaluation standards to support CES programs
- Actively participate and represent CES on a variety of department, division and campus committees and initiatives
- Demonstrates an active commitment to diversity and inclusion
Percentage Of Time 10% Application Details
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, please apply by submitting a cover letter addressing the required and preferred qualifications, resume and 3 professional references by 07/16/2017, 11:59 pm (MST).
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires) Search Contact Dezarai Brubaker EEO Statement
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Executive Director of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Minimum Requested 3 Maximum Requested 3 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter