Associate Director of Colorado Alumni Engagement
5 days left
- Full Time
Description of Work Unit
Colorado State University (CSU) is a University on the rise. CSU has a commitment to excellence, its land grant heritage, and its position as a Carnegie Research University. The Division of University Advancement is an appreciated campus partner in achieving institutional excellence by employing an entrepreneurial approach to its fundraising efforts. As the campus engages in a comprehensive campaign, the CSU Alumni Association is a partner in this significant endeavor. The Division of University Advancement is committed to the growth of its people and accomplishing the mission of Colorado State University. University Advancement has one of the leading development teams in the country. CSU’s standing among universities is increasingly recognized in numerous national rankings and for many years CSU has been the school of choice for Colorado students, with a long-standing legacy of attracting the best and brightest nationally and internationally.
We are seeking a successful individual who has a proven track record with a collaborative approach and our vision to build one of the nation’s premier alumni relations teams. The CSU Alumni Association facilitates meaningful relationships between its 215,000+ alumni and the University. Using a combination of proven alumni engagement strategies and new, innovative approaches, the Alumni Association strives to celebrate the success of our alumni, build an emotional connection back to the institution, and help alumni to identify meaningful volunteer opportunities. In addition, the Association is excited to open the Iris & Michael Smith Alumni Center to serve as a place of pride and home to more than 215,000 alumni when they return to campus. This 20,000 square foot facility is slated to open in fall 2017. The ideal candidate will be a consummate professional and will thrive in a fast-paced campaign and metrics/results-driven environment. The candidate will have a strong work ethic and a successful track record of building and growing programs and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, alumni, faculty, and community partners.
The Associate Director of Colorado Alumni Engagement is responsible for leading an engagement strategy to enhance relationships between the University and approximately 94,000 alumni throughout the state of Colorado (excluding Fort Collins) with an emphasis on the 58,000 alumni in the metro Denver area and key alumni population centers. Essential to this position is the ability to implement proven alumni engagement strategies as well as create innovative approaches to meet organizational goals. The successful candidate will have the ability to build collaborative relationships, both internally and externally; ability to facilitate change according to strategic priorities; and work independently, virtually and as an effective member of the team. This position will supervise two full time employees, the Assistant Director for Alumni Relations-Denver and the Manager of Denver Operations and Engagement and will report to the Director of Alumni Relations. This position is based out of the Alumni Association office located in downtown Denver, Colorado and will supervise the Denver-based team.
This position requires the ability to lift 25 pounds and a valid driver’s license with reliable transportation or access to a driver. This individual will interact and build relationships with alumni, students, donors, volunteers, business partners, and Division and University colleagues. This position requires working non-standard hours, including early mornings, evenings, and weekends as well as frequent travel throughout the state of Colorado. This is a 12-month, full time appointment.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, hospitality, liberal arts, or a related field.
- Minimum of three years full time professional experience developing and delivering programs intended to inform and engage constituent groups.
- Minimum of two years professional experience supervising full time staff.
- Experience in a customer service or relationship building role.
- Willingness and ability to travel and work evenings/weekend hours.
- This position requires a valid driver’s license with reliable transportation or access to a driver.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Professional experience leading and/or managing volunteers
- Experience working with budgets and financial processes
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Experience managing events or programming
- Experience working in alumni relations and/or university advancement
- Experience engaging constituents in the metro Denver area and across Colorado
- Experience creating and developing innovative programs or initiatives.
- Experience with constituent databases, such as Advance
- Demonstrated experience working in a highly collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Knowledge of Colorado State University and the Alumni Association
- Success integrating diversity in the major duties outlined in the job description or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Development and Management of Metro Denver and Colorado Alumni Engagement Strategy Duty/Responsibility
- Develop and implement strategies to strengthen the relationship between alumni and CSU as well as connect and engage alumni in Metro Denver and Colorado communities (excluding Fort Collins).
- Develop and manage effective alumni communication and engagement strategies to maximize alumni involvement.
- Develop and execute an annual programming strategy for Metro Denver and across the state of Colorado (excluding Fort Collins), focusing on key alumni population areas. Collaborate with staff and partners to plan and implement programs for maximum effectiveness.
- Serve as a representative of the Alumni Association and University while working with individual alumni volunteers and volunteer committees. Provide guidance and expertise for volunteer-driven programs to maximize success and create a meaningful experience for alumni, volunteers, and participants. Includes recruiting, training, and motivating alumni volunteers to assist in meeting organizational goals.
- Understand and apply knowledge of University Advancement alumni database in a variety of facets, including analysis of demographic data, program/event effectiveness, and return on engagement/investment. Monitor trends to increase alumni engagement and make recommendations to staff and senior leadership for enhancement or changes.
- Serve as liaison between the Alumni Association and various constituent groups, including alumni in metro Denver and across Colorado; local businesses; community organizations; experiment stations; and extension offices.
- Actively participate in growing membership, license plate sales, sponsorship, and revenue partnerships. All Alumni Association employees share a responsibility to meet and surpass Association revenue goals to support our $2.3 million budget.
Percentage Of Time 80% Job Duty Category Campus Involvement Duty/Responsibility
- Actively participate as a staff member in the Alumni Association and Division of University Advancement, attend meetings and trainings, support Division-wide priorities and initiatives and serve as an Association representative on University committees as assigned. Requires weekly travel to Fort Collins.
- Exercise initiative, sound judgment, creativity and discretion in performing work assigned, anticipating and addressing concerns, responding to requests for information, and organizing and maintaining confidential files and records.
- Contribute to the total effectiveness of the department, communicating openly, solving problems proactively, offering creative ideas and working as a positive, engaged team member.
Percentage Of Time 10% Job Duty Category Administrative/budget Duty/Responsibility
- Working with Alumni Association leadership, manage the outreach budget of approximately $200,000 and comply with university financial policies.
- Monthly reporting of metro Denver and Colorado metrics and data to Executive Director and senior leadership.
- Oversight of Alumni Association’s Denver Center office space.
- Lead and mentor supervisees and student employees.
Percentage Of Time 10%
Special Instructions to Applicants
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter which addresses how professional experiences align with the required and preferred qualifications, a current resume, and the names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of three (3) professional references. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
A $5,000 moving allowance may be negotiated at the time of hire.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License, Travel
Search Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.