Director of Entrepreneurship Institute
Description of Work Unit
The Institute for Entrepreneurship in the College of Business at Colorado State University develops and coordinates an array of co-curricular programming that enriches existing strengths in research and teaching across multiple disciplines to provide students with the knowledge, practical skills, and applied learning experiences to succeed as entrepreneurs. The Institute in a hub for entrepreneurship across campus, offering co-curricular experiences and training to the entrepreneurial community at Colorado State University that fosters venture creation. Through this strong cross-campus collaborative initiative, an entrepreneurial environment is fostered in every college across campus.
In addition, to serving campus, the entrepreneurship institute serves as a portal for engaging the broader entrepreneurial community to develop and deliver programs. An Entrepreneurship Institute board, managing a large network of mentors, and partnerships with other entrepreneurial centers across the state fall under the purview of the Institute.
The Director of the Institute for Entrepreneurship in the College of Business at Colorado State University is responsible for building the presence, reputation and financial stability of the Entrepreneurship Institute in the College, across the University and the region, and developing supporting entrepreneurial programming and mentoring initiatives.
The Director pursues the mission of the Institute and provides the core knowledge and expertise for evaluating new ventures and start-ups, positioning new ventures for public offering, creating innovations in growing companies and thriving in high-growth environments. In pursuing this mission, student entrepreneurs are cultivated and faculty entrepreneurs across the university are encouraged. The Director will serve as the spokesperson for the Institute to build awareness, develop important partnerships, build community, develop a vibrant ecosystem of innovators and insure the financial stability of the Institute. The Director will build and engage the advisory board as advocates and collaborators in growing the Institute. In addition, the Entrepreneurship Institute Director will work closely with the College of Business Development team to identify key needs and initiatives, identify and build relationship with potential donors, and assist in fundraising for the Institute.
The Director of the Entrepreneurship Institute works closely and in concert with the academic director for the Institute for Entrepreneurship, entrepreneurship faculty, the Department Chair of the Department of Management, and reports to the Dean of the College of Business.
Required Job Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- A minimum 5 years of professional experience in a management, or leadership role in an entrepreneurial environmental.
- 3 years of demonstrated experience collaborating with academic/administrative leadership, college staff, or external constituents to conceive and execute strategic planning and programming.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- A graduate degree, preferably in business, engineering, science, marketing or related field from an accredited institution
- Previous experience working in a higher educational environment
- Demonstrated success in creating and articulating a vision and strategy that resonates with donors and supporters that has resulted in fundraising/capital raising success
- Demonstrated success in supporting and mentoring the creation of new ventures, identification of intellectual property, and go-to-market strategy, especially in start-up, technology and social entrepreneurial firms
- Demonstrated knowledge of region’s business and entrepreneurial environment.
- A record of success as a self-starter and leader in a fast-paced, largely autonomous environment.
- Demonstrated experience aiding, encouraging, and motivating students to develop an entrepreneurial mindset, skills and capabilities
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Institute Leadership Duty/Responsibility
- Provide leadership to develop, support, and extend the Institute’s mission.
- Collaborate with members of the university and greater community to achieve goals.
- Manage a portfolio of new and existing activities and programs for students that develop and promote entrepreneurship opportunities.
- Interact with the entrepreneurial community to solicit ideas, share information, create partnerships, and maintain regional presence.
- Enhance visibility of entrepreneurship program in region and amongst AACSB peer schools.
- Manage the Institute; supervise staff, direct program activities.
- Collaborate with faculty researchers and diverse university-based constituencies.
- Build fundraising strategy in conjunction with the development team.
- Assist in fundraising activity and outreach for the Entrepreneurship Institute
Percentage Of Time 45 Job Duty Category Institute Support Duty/Responsibility
- Maintain and grow the Entrepreneurship Institute Advisory Board consisting of alumni and entrepreneurs who share a commitment to the mission and a desire to give back to students and the University.
Percentage Of Time 55
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prospective candidates should apply online at http://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/47816 Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered. Apply no later than August 6, 2017, 11:59 pm (MST) for full consideration. Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered.
A complete application consists of:
- Cover letter addressing each qualification described in announcement
Please provide within your application 3 to 5 professional references. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Search Contact John Durkin- firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.