Research Technician/Assistant in Biology
The Fejes Toth lab uses fruit flies as a model for the study of small RNA biology. The project will focus on the role of a class of small non-coding RNAs (piRNAs) in transcriptional gene regulation.
We have shown that the piRNA pathway induces transcriptional gene silencing and are currently dissecting the molecular mechanism of this process. The technician will mostly focus on understanding the role of the piRNA pathway in the developing fly embryo. This work would be conducted under the direct guidance of the lab head and will involve fly genetics, molecular and cell biology techniques. Training in established techniques will be provided as needed, but the work will require significant independence of day-to-day operations.
The successful candidate will design and independently perform bench level experiments and small projects that support the overall research objective.
Job tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Maintenance of fly stocks, setting up fly crosses and collecting embryos, isolating RNA and protein from samples, as well as fixing embryos for staining and imaging.
- Reverse transcription, PCR reactions, protein and nucleic acid quantifications etc. will be routinely performed.
- May involve cell culture work and molecular cloning.
- Functional assays will include cell and molecular biology methods such as, but not limited to, qPCR, Western blot and immunofluorescence.
- Interact directly with the lab head to ensure proper experimental design and analysis. The candidate will adapt easily to changing needs and priorities, facilitate project completion, provide lab support and organizational needs, address technical problems, and summarize and present results. Training will be provided as needed.
- Perform other lab duties such as assisting with fly collection, lab inventory, lab organization and other lab maintenance will be expected.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or related field required.
- Familiarity and hands-on experience with molecular biological methods and the operation of standard lab equipment required.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff and with external contacts in a fast-paced environment required.
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously required.
- Excellent organization, time management, and project management skills required.
- Must possess a high level of initiative and independence.
- Extensive (at least two years) experience in a research laboratory is a strong plus.
- Solid technical knowledge of fly genetics, molecular and cell biology techniques is a plus.
- Experimental techniques that would be of exceptional value are: fly stock maintenance/crossing/genotyping, RNA isolation/RT/qPCR, ChIP, Western-blotting, immunofluorescence.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 05/23/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.