5 days left
- Full Time
The IPAC Support Group Systems Engineering team (ISGSE) provides systems engineering, network engineering and systems administration support for all IPAC projects as well as the organization at large. We manage tens of petabytes of data, high speed networks, compute clusters and the data centers to house them.
IPAC (www.ipac.caltech.edu) provides science and data management for astronomy missions (both space and ground telescopes), planning for future projects, and vital science archives. IPAC supports NASA, NSF, and privately funded projects, including: Spitzer, WISE, NEOWISE, the Zwicky Transient Facility, the Thirty-Meter Telescope, and the US centers for Planck, Herschel, and Euclid. IPAC operates the NASA/IPAC Infrared Science Archive (IRSA), the NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database (NED), the NASA Exoplanet Archive – a service of the NASA ExoPlanet Science Institute (NExScI), and the Keck Observatory Archive (KOA).
The ISGSE team is looking for an experienced Systems Administrator to help with everything from routine systems administration tasks to data center engineering projects. Typical duties include:
- Server installation and configuration.
- OS patching and upgrades.
- Third-party software installation.
- Email server management.
- LDAP configuration.
- Network performance monitoring.
- Storage systems configuration and management.
- Queuing systems configuration and management.
- Routine systems administration tasks such as account management and permissions.
- Backup configuration and management.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
- At least seven years of experience with Linux, specifically Red Hat, CentOS or Debian.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work with others on a small team.
- Ability to organize and manage priorities across multiple assigned tasks.
- Must be able to lift and install equipment into server racks,; typically 35 lbs.
- Interest in science, particularly Astronomy: It’s what we do.
- Data Center administration experience.
- Recent experience with Solaris 10 & 11.
- Recent experience with virtualization technologies including VMWare and RHEV.
- Recent experience with cloud computing, particularly AWS.
- Fiber-channel storage configuration.
- Filesystem configuration. ZFS, XFS and EXT-3 & 4.
- Backup systems experience; NetBackup or Networker.
- Tape Library operations; Quantum or StorageTek.
- Networking experience; CCNA would be great.
- Familiar with systems security best practices.
- Familiarity with software development tools like svn and git.
- Extensive scripting experience in sh, bash, tcsh, Perl, Python and Ruby.
- Configuration experience with systems monitoring tools like Zabbix, Xymon, or Nagios.
- DevOps experience, particularly Ansible.
- Programming skills in C, C++, or Java.
- Web server configuration.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 07/13/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.