Lecturer in Creative Writing
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
School of Literature, Art and Media
- Teaching and research opportunity for a creative prose specialist
- Develop your academic career alongside supportive colleagues
- Continuing, full-time, Academic Level B position with attractive remuneration
About the opportunity
The School of Literature, Art and Media is a vibrant school whose pedagogic practice, research profile and external engagements are shaped by the synergistic benefits of bringing together traditional disciplines with long intellectual histories such as art history, English and linguistics with newer sub-disciplinary or interdisciplinary formations such as media and communication and museum studies.
Creative Writing is becoming an important and integrated part of The Department of English’s curriculum. We have a thriving postgraduate coursework and research program and introduced Creative Writing at undergraduate level in 2016. The School is now seeking to appoint a Lecturer in Creative Writing who will make a significant contribution to research and have primary responsibility for developing and implementing undergraduate Creative Writing within the English major.
In this exciting lectureship opportunity you will:
- teach curriculum for undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Creative Writing/Creative Prose
- provide leadership in curriculum development, including online and blended coursework delivery
- be able to take up a term as Director of Creative Writing in the near future
- contribute to the research strengths of the school, including publishing regularly in journals of high ranking and other quality outlets, and applying for creative grants
- supervise masters dissertations and creative higher research degrees
- develop effective interdisciplinary collaborations within the University, across the academic field and with external stakeholders
- contribute to academic administration.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for a Lecturer in Creative Writing who possesses:
- a PhD in English or equivalent creative doctorate
- a strong record of creative publication and teaching in creative prose, and a demonstrated commitment to the principles of creative research and an integrated curriculum
- a demonstrated research track record in fiction and/or creative non-fiction (book and journal publication)
- experience with book and journal publication, grant applications and public readings
- ability to work in a complex and challenging environment
- the ability to work with colleagues not only in the department but also in the Faculty, University and with external partners in a collegial and effective manner.
Please submit a cover letter, a CV and a statement addressing the selection criteria.
Applicants must also submit a 5 year research and publishing plan.
The University of Sydney offers flexible working hours, supportive staff networks and generous superannuation.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, 15 August 2017 (Sydney time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney