Electrical Controls Technician
Engineering Department (EN), Electrical Group (EL), Electrical Network Control Section (ENC).
You will join:
- The Department that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Group that is responsible for CERN's electrical transmission and distribution network from 400 kV to 400/230 V. Its main missions are to operate, maintain, extend and renovate the electrical network, make projections for CERN's electrical energy consumption and manage relations with the energy suppliers. The group is also in charge of making modifications and extensions of the network when required by new projects, with project studies, equipment procurement, installation, supervision and commissioning.
- The Section that is responsible for the management of the CERN's electrical network supervision system. This includes design, procurement, installation, configuration, and maintenance of the necessary computing and control infrastructure required following modifications and extensions of the electrical network.
As Electrical Controls technician you will actively contribute to the consolidation, extension and maintenance of CERN's Electrical Network Supervision System.
- Design, procure, install, configure, cable and commission the necessary control infrastructure, including racks, power and signal converters, network switches and data acquisition units required for the supervision of electrical equipment.
- Contribute to the consolidation of a centralized data engineering tool to maximise automatic data configuration for the entire control chain.
- Coordinate on-site activities with the contractors.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot control equipment and communication bus faults.
- Produce relevant technical documentation and reports.
- Define control cabling conventions and SCADA alarm descriptions for new supervised equipment in collaboration with the operation team and equipment managers.
Higher Technical Diploma in Controls Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Extensive experience in the installation, engineering, testing and maintenance of controls and data acquisition systems.
- Demonstrated experience in serial or Ethernet based fieldbus installation, configuration and troubleshooting.
- Experience in programming of PLC and automation systems.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Programming/Software development: languages: c, c++, java.
- Management, configuration and operation of SCADA systems.
- Installation, tests, and maintenance of communication buses and PLC systems; PLC programming.
- Management, configuration and tests of Data Acquisition systems and electrical measurement devices;
- Knowledge of electrical distribution systems is considered an asset.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 03.09.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.