Director in Development - Medicine & Science
- Major gift specialist – design and execute major donor fundraising strategy
- Leadership role in new fundraising campaign– sophisticated relationship management
- Senior Appointment
Reporting to the Executive Director, Development and working closely with the respective Deans, you will be responsible for two key areas; creating strategies to achieve significant philanthropic revenue targets for UNSW Medicine and UNSW Science, as well as managing a personal portfolio of major and principal gift prospects. Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead the philanthropic strategy and activities for UNSW Medicine and UNSW Science to achieve targets
- Work collaboratively with the Deans and other stakeholders to identify projects that require philanthropic support and foster productive relationships for UNSW
- Oversee and manage development budgets
- Provide expert advice on development strategies and activities to stakeholders
- Lead and mentor development managers in your team
- Build and manage a personal portfolio of prospects with the potential to make major or principal gifts
Skills and Requirements:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications with significant experience in major donor fundraising or managing relationships with high net worth individuals
- Demonstrated success closing $1m+ gifts and working in a target driven environment
- Expert influencing skills and the demonstrated ability to garner support and commitment for a major project across a large and complex organisation
- Demonstrated ability to work in an agile environment, and proven ability to work to multiple, tight and conflicting project deadlines
- Evidence of success in establishing, cultivating and maintaining high-level, strong relationships with influential donors and executives
- Proven leadership experience with the ability to mentor, inspire and motivate colleagues
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of fundraising and tax laws that impact charitable giving, personal assets and estates
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
Philanthropy is critical to the success of the 2025 Strategy, UNSW's strategic plan that sets out the priorities and themes that will guide us over the next decade as we position ourselves as 'Australia's Global University'.
Beginning with the appointment of a new Vice-President, Philanthropy in February 2016, UNSW is committed to building a world-class development and engagement team organisation that will advance UNSW's ambitious goals. Our Development and International Development teams work closely with individuals, corporations, and foundations to raise philanthropic support for the university's highest priorities. Our Alumni and Engagement team helps encourage the involvement of alumni and friends in Sydney and around the world in the life of UNSW. Our Operations Team ensures that all UNSW donors, alumni and friends receive a consistent and high standard of service and stewardship.
Please submit your resume and cover letter (addressing the selection criteria) as soon as practicable. Please note all documentation must be in pdf format.
Executive Director, Development
T: +61 2 9385 0540
Applications close: 11:59 pm, 21st July 2017
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff, and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.