Network and Telecom Deployment Technician
Network and Telecom Deployment Technician in the Information Technology (IT) Department, Communication Systems (IT-CS) Group, The Deployment and Operations Section (IT-CS-DO).
You will join:
- The Communication Systems (CS) Group which is responsible for all aspects of network provision at CERN. We support a campus network (cabled and Wi-Fi) with over 20,000 active devices, a 5Tb/s non-blocking switching fabric for a data centre with over 10,000 servers, more than 4,000 of which with 10Gb/s interfaces, and external connections including multiple trans-border 100Gb/s circuits.
- The Deployment and Operations (DO) section is responsible for the installation and operation of data networking solutions (high performance, campus and industrial controls) as well as telecom systems (fixed and mobile telephony, TETRA) at CERN.
As a Network and Telecom Deployment Technician in the IT/CS/DO Section, you will be responsible for installing and operating networking and telecom services for various user groups at CERN. As an autonomous and active member of a team, you will work in collaboration with engineers and other specialist technicians, assuming notably the following functions:
- Installation and configuration of diverse communications systems (routers, switches, mobile telephone repeaters) using CERN tools.
- Planning and coordination of sub-contracted cabling work, assuring that operational and safety procedures are respected.
- Interpretation of user needs then proposing and implementing suitable solutions in line with CERN standards.
- Documentation of implemented solutions and participation in the streamlining of operational procedures.
- Acting as part of the support chain for communication problems.
Higher technical diploma in the field of Computing, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Extensive experience installing and configuring network and/or telecom systems.
- Utilisation of information systems, such as database interfaces.
- Initial experience of coordinating work with external providers and subcontractors would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Systems installation/decommissioning: to follow established procedures in line with agreed standards in the installation, testing or decommissioning of cabling and hardware.
- Customer relationship management: communication of services and delivery activities to one or more user groups; ensuring that they gain maximum benefit from the services supp.
- Requirements definition and management: specification and interpretation of customer requirements to a level that enables effective delivery of products and services.
- Systems design: the design or selection of components to meet defined needs, conforming to corporate standards within constraints of cost, security and sust.
- Organisation, planning and control: planning and supervision of subcontracted cabling work, coordination with other services present at the deployment site.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; producing comprehensive work/project plans taking into account resources and contingencies.
- Building relationships: being able to put self in the shoes of others in order to understand their needs and interests; relating well to all people regardless of category/level within the Organization.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; being able to demonstrate flexibility whilst abiding by all applicable rules.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals; sharing and letting others participate in own work/project; encouraging team development.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; demonstrating a receptive approach to feedback; being open to criticism and reconsidering position accordingly.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as the ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 29.08.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Residence in the immediate vicinity of the Organization's installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.