Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor in Plant Biology
Macquarie is the University of pioneering minds. Globally recognized as one of Australia's leading research universities, Macquarie is a place where extraordinary new possibilities come to light. We've helped people to hear, introduced wireless internet technology to the world and broken through traditional boundaries by appointing Australia's first female vice-chancellor.
At Macquarie, you'll join a vibrant community of diverse perspectives, all working towards a brighter future for our communities and our planet. Surrounded by beautiful parkland campus, our students and staff are free to explore and discover, supported by facilities including a high-tech library, private teaching hospital, gym and pools, childcare facilities, a campus train station and the newly expanded Macquarie Centre shopping complex next door.
In Macquarie's Faculty of Science and Engineering you'll join passionate researchers and educators blazing new trails in the spirit of discovery and exploration. Encouraged to think boldly, and supported by some of Australia's most outstanding facilities, brilliant minds converge in our faculty to create incredible new possibilities: the world's first attempt to synthesize complex life, the creation of Wi-Fi, the discovery of dancing dwarf galaxies and the development of blue LED light. Inspired by challenge and opportunity, we look forward to welcoming you as we imagine a new future together.
The Department of Biological Sciences
The Department of Biological Sciences at Macquarie University is a vibrant and collegial community of teachers, researchers and students. We are a leading research department, conducting research at all levels of biological organisation and across diverse taxa. Our hallmark is a capacity to examine complex questions from multiple perspectives and to foster collaboration within the department and beyond. We are a department of integrative biology, with particular research strengths in conservation biology, ecology, evolution and animal behaviour. This position offers opportunity to build on the Department’s current strength in plant biology, including in ecology, climate change adaptation, genomics and urban ecology. For more information please visit http://bio.mq.edu.au/
The Department has the opportunity to appoint a plant biologist at the level of Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor. We are seeking candidates with an outstanding research record in plant biology, which potentially may include cell and molecular biology, environmental physiology, ecology, evolution, and biogeography. Applicants developing transformative research across traditional boundaries are particularly welcome. The position also offers the opportunity to contribute to innovative teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Successful candidates will:
- Develop and lead a world-class research program in plant biology, drawing strength from the department’s integrative biology and building on existing research strengths in terrestrial plant ecology, environmental physiology and gene expression
- Proactively build research collaborations, both internal and external
- Support their research through diverse funding sources
- Strive for excellence in teaching, including Higher Degree Research supervision and developing new curriculum
- Contribute to the full range of departmental activities
To be considered for this position you must respond to the Selection Criteria and attach as a separate document in the application process.
- PhD in plant biology or a related field
- An outstanding track record of excellence in research
- Demonstrated capacity for building collaborations and attracting external research funding
- Demonstrated capacity for attracting and supervising students at Honours or Higher Degree Research level
- Excellence in developing and delivering high quality teaching materials and in developing curricula
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and with other members of the University
Role Specific Enquiries: Michelle Leishman, Head of Department via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call +61 2 9850 9180.
General Recruitment Enquiries: Diane Abinoja, HR Administrator via e-mail email@example.com
Appointment Type: Full-time, continuing.
Salary Package: Level C from $121,953 to $140,246 p.a plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading; Level D from $146,462 to $161,099 p.a plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading. Exceptional candidates may be considered for appointment at Level E.
Applications Close: Sunday 27 August 2017, 11:55 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system, please contact the inquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.