Senior Legislative Officer
- A rare opportunity exists for a self-motivated and driven professional with strong legislative drafting experience!
- Salary range: Level 8 $94,637 - $103,646 p.a. or Level 9 $109,649 - $116,155 p.a.
- Full time, 12 month fixed term appointment
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
The University Secretariat is responsible for the oversight and coordination of formal corporate and academic governance structures of the University.
It does so by providing executive and administrative services to the University’s governing body the Senate and a number of Senate Standing Committees. Staff in the Academic Secretariat work very closely with the Chair of Academic Board, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Education, the Dean of Coursework Studies and the Faculties to support the academic governance of the University.
Reporting to the University Secretary and working closely with the Academic Secretary, the successful appointee will play a crucial role in reviewing the University’s existing subsidiary legislation and with consultation across key University stakeholders, draft changes to Statutes, Regulations, Rules and Policies.
The incumbent will have a focus on 3 project deliverables in the next 12 months:
- Reviewing, consolidate and integrating University Statutes
- Analysing amending or redrafting University’s Regulations and;
- Contributing to the development and revision of University Policies.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Substantial high level policy and legislative drafting experience, including a proven ability to formulate policy and legislation, and draft in plain English
- Understanding and knowledge of UWA structure, governance and legislative framework
- Knowledge and understanding of the Australian tertiary education system and external legislative issues affecting the University’s legislation, and other regulatory requirements
- High level consultation and negotiation skills
Full details of the position’s responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description and applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria.
With your extensive experience and skills in legislative drafting, you will also demonstrate effective consultative and negotiation competency in a changing work environment. Your interpersonal and communication skills will be exceptional and will enable you to effectively work with key stakeholders, including Executives and Academic staff.
You will also demonstrate attention to detail, sound planning, research and analytical skills and a drive to achieve results in a collaborative and efficient manner. Previous work experience in Government or the Higher Education sector is desirable but not essential.
Closing date: Tuesday 1 August 2017
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion of the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.