Lecturer in Data Science and Statistics
The Lecturer, Data Science and Statistics will be responsible for the development and delivery of course material for the online Masters Degree program in Data Science. The incumbent will work in close consultation with the Head, Physical Sciences and associated academic team members. This is a fixed-term, 2 year position.
- Develop online content and assessment for a series of subjects that will form part of an online Masters Degree in Data Science.
- Work closely with educational marketers and expert academics in the development of online content to ensure course design is aligned with subject learning outcomes, attractive to students and linked with industry requirements.
- Undertake academic administration duties associated with course and curriculum development.
- Undertake teaching delivery, assessment activities and student consultation duties where required for the Master of Data Science program.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Lecturer, Data Science and Statistics is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Lecturer, Data Science and Statistics is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Lecturer, Data Science and Statistics is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
Selection and appointments will be assessed against selection criteria.
- Completion of postgraduate qualifications (Masters, PhD or equivalent qualification) in Data Science, and/or at least 5 years’ equivalent industry experience.
- Proven skills in big data (management, processing and analysis), data visualisation, statistics, data mining, modelling and database systems.
- Proven ability and/or experience with various statistical software packages including R, SAS, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Spark, Tableau, and Excel.
- Demonstrated ability and/or experience in University teaching in elements of data science and particularly in designing and delivering new subjects.
- Demonstrated high level written, oral and interpersonal communication skills appropriate to the delivery of course content and assessment to diverse audiences through a range of mediums.
- Experience in working and collaborating with industry in data science.
- Ability to conduct collaborative, multi-disciplinary research within diverse teams.
- Experience in the development of online courses, content and assessment.
More jobs like this
- Fixed Term Computer Science Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Townsville
- Fixed Term Engineering & Technology Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Townsville
- Fixed Term Mathematics & Statistics Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Townsville
- Fixed Term Physical Sciences Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Townsville