Assistant/Associate/Postdoctoral Fellow in Polymer Composites
Closing Date: Open till filled
Contract Status: Full-time
Salary & Benefits: RMB93,000 to RMB250,000 per annum before all deductions, depending on qualifications and experience
Working Location: Ningbo
The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign University to established in China. As the only branch of the University of Nottingham in China, in line with the purpose of "the first-class academy achievements of first-class international talents", it is combined with the advantages of discipline at the University of Nottingham and the China's social development needs. Up to now, four faculties have been established , including the Faculty of Social Sciences, Faculty of Humanities, Faculty of Business and Faculty of Science and Engineering, which include departments of Mechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering (M3), Computer Science, Civil Engineering, as well as Architecture and Built Environment, etc., providing professional teaching at levels of Undergraduate/Master/PhD. With strong scientific research strength of University of Nottingham, United Kingdom (UNUK), the UNNC has integrated high-quality research resources at home and abroad, combined the needs for local development and actively taken part in international and interdisciplinary research cooperation as well as academic exchange. Academic institutions including Institute of Sustainable Energy Technology, Sustainable Manufacturing Research Centre, International Academy of Marine Economy and Technology (IAMET) and the New Materials Research Institute (NMI) have been established in Ningbo. Meanwhile, the UNNC takes part in numerous research project cooperating with overseas institutions, Ministry of Science and Technology of China as well as local industries in the fields of sustainable energy, green manufacturing, new materials and marine technology, with the aim of promoting the transfer of technology and practical application of research.
The Advanced Polymer Composites Team is led by Professor Chris Rudd, the Provost of the UNNC and Pro-vice Chancellor of the UNUK. The team focuses on the strategic needs of aerospace, automotive, marine/shipbuilding industries and biomedical application, combining them with the trending areas of international research, as well as basic researches in material science, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, and automation for in-depth fusion, in order to carry out high quality R&D of composite technology. The team works with AVIC Composite Corporation Ltd., Sinoma, ARKEMA, Technical Fibre Products (TFP) and other well-known domestic and overseas enterprises and institutes in close cooperation, and in addition, as a platform which provides services including R&D of products, talent training for enterprises, and offers opportunities of visits and internships to these well-known enterprises. The Advanced Polymer Composites Team wish to combine industry, education and research together, making full use of the expertise of all parties, and eventually promoting the commercialization of scientific research.
We sincerely welcome experienced researchers from polymer composite area to join in the Advanced Composite Group, and actively participate in the team's growth and development, build up the key laboratory for composite research, and develop novel, high performance polymer composites, and successfully transfer the findings from scientific research to major domestic/overseas composite industry.
Major research streams at UNNC
- High performance thermoplastic composite for aerospace
(Collaboration with Aerospace Company)
- Fire retardant composites for aviation application
(Collaboration with International Company)
- 3D printing of polymer composite
(International collaboration Project)
- Glass/carbon fibre composite Recycling and Reuse
(Collaboration with Composite Company)
- Liquid thermoplastic composite molding for automotive applications
(Collaborate with International company)
- A MSc/PhD or equivalent and research experience in polymer composite, polymer materials, mechanical, engineering, and chemistry;
- Working/research experience in polymer composite field;
- Ability to solve problems and work independently;
- Rich experience in applying for international / domestic research funding;
- Essential communication and writing skills both in English and Chinese, and proficient ability of academic writing and publishing.
- Ability in organization and time management;
- Passionate about design, manufacturing, processing, characterization and analysis of fiber reinforced composites;
- Proficient skills of AutoCAD/Creo/Solidworks and other engineering design software, or experiences in FEA (finite element analysis);
- Ability to design/develop the mold and mechanical parts according to practical requirements, as well as analysis of material performance based on simulation;
- Research and work experience in the design, manufacture, processing, analysis and testing of high performance aerospace thermoplastic composites or lightweight structures are preferred.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Produce independent research on polymer composites materials;
- Deliver research as part of a collaborative team and contribute to the achievement of specific research objectives;
- Write and publication of high-quality academic journal papers (2-4 journal papers/yr)
- Participate in the project application with great enthusiasm, complete the preparation and submission of application materials; follow up and supervise the project progress to ensure that the projects progress smoothly and can be completed in time;
- Support business development via liaison with industrial clients, research partners and government agencies;
- Develop reliable processes while meeting project deadlines and present the results at project progress meetings;
- Support attracting research fund from external funding bodies;
- Assist research student supervision;
- In case of necessity, design and prepare related tool/mechanical parts to improve the efficiency of research;
- Work with other staff members on joint research activities, including research seminars, grants, and papers;
- Take part in staff development activities consistent with continuous professional development;
- Participate in training and staff development schemes as trainer or trainee as appropriate;
- Maintain appropriate professional development, expertise and awareness;
- Undertake other tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be required.
How to Apply
Please send job application with the following documents before the closing date:
- UNNC Application Form (please download from here); http://www.nottingham.edu.cn/en/about/documents/applicationform.doc
- Cover Letter;
Please kindly note that all documents should be completed in English and in Word/ PDF format.
Late or incomplete application will not be considered to be shortlisted.
Please send application and enquiries to email@example.com