Assistant Coach - Men's and Women's Cross Country
The assistant coach, Women’s and Women’s Cross Country is responsible for assisting in the administration of all aspects of the sport program including but not limited to: coaching and teaching of students, recruiting, game and practice preparation and execution, fund-raising/friend raising, committee participation, budget management, compliance with NCAA, and conference rules/regulations, participation as a member of the college community and with all collaborative departmental functions as needed. Continued employment in this temporary position is contingent upon your performance, behavior and compliance with Caltech’s policies and procedures.
- Demonstrating a high level of teaching and coaching competency in sport skill instruction, sport strategy, tactics and rules, physical training and fitness and student motivation in practice execution.
- Active game preparation through scouting, image analysis, strategy discussions, travel arrangements
- Participate in on and off campus recruitment activities of athletically and academically qualified student-athletes which will include data entry and correspondence, talent identification, communication of College opportunities and expectations. Must take NCAA rules test.
- Exhibiting the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to the NCAA, Conference, Caltech and Department of Athletics and Recreation’s values statement, including commitment to life long learning, sportsmanship on and off the field of play, positive leadership and the desire and ability to act as a positive role model and representative of the Institute at all times.
- Demonstrating a sincere interest in the social, emotional, academic development, as well as the athletic welfare of student-athletes; collaborating on academic monitoring and guidance of students where appropriate.
- Assist the head coach in all areas of implementing a competitive, successful educational athletic program emphasizing the quality experience for the student athletes. While the ability to show initiative and work independently is essential, all activities will be under the direction and supervision of the head coach
- Complete specific assignments assigned by the head coach in a timely, thorough and first class manner.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills including: writing, speaking, and listening.
- Contributing to the maintenance of excellent working relationships with all members of the Department and promoting the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletic program on and off campus.
- Other duties as assigned.
- AA degree is necessary.
- Must secure and maintain valid driver license during employment.
- Must be knowledgeable and skilled in all areas of the sport.
- Knowledge of SCIAC & NCAA rules and regulations.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain accurate attendance and other informational record keeping.
- Strong computing skills including database manipulation, document creation, blogging and ability to learn new specialized software applications.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Each coaching staff member may be required to perform physical tasks such as:
- lifting, carrying, loading sport specific equipment;
- set up and tear down of sports contest support equipment;
- some care and maintenance of sport specific or general athletic facilities
- Bachelor’s degree and two or more years of relevant experience.
- CPR, AED, First Aid certifications preferred.
- Collegiate playing experience preferred.
- Organized coaching experience preferred.
- Teaching through digital images; creating and using emerging technologies.
- Looking for someone with confidence who will teach skills in practice and who will take an active role in working with the head coach on team strategies and player decisions and be a strong two-way communicator.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 06/14/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.