Lead Security Officer
Caltech offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes a broad range of programs. We offer benefits which include health and dental coverage, generous holiday and vacation leave accrual plans, a competitive retirement option, life insurance and other types of financial protection, tuition assistance for staff members, child care programs, credit union memberships, library privileges, and participation in cultural and social events.
In addition, as one of the top rated institutions in the world, Caltech offers the opportunity to work in a stimulating and diverse environment. Learn more about our benefits at: http://benefits.caltech.edu
If you are passionate about creating what is possible, consider coming to work at Caltech – apply online today!
- Lead Officer must provide a safe and secure environment to all members of the Caltech community including students, staff, faculty, visitors and guests.
- Protects Campus facilities and personnel to preclude unauthorized access, theft, or vandalism.
- Responds to security calls and investigate suspicious activities.
- Reviews security monitors; enters and retrieves data utilizing the security management access system.
- Keeps accurate logs of events and occurrences based on security guidelines; maintains and prepares a variety of sensitive information, reports, and records (e.g. clients, investigations, etc.); may assist with coordination of projects and/or collection of related information.
- Assists in smooth transition between shifts. * Provides training to new Security Officers on the department’s policies and procedures.
- In addition to the above, the Lead Security Officer acts for the Supervisor in absence of the assigned Supervisor for that shift.
- The hours for this position are based on an altered work schedule (weekends, non-standard hours, holidays, and special events).
- The shifts for this position are drawn from the following 8-hour time blocks: 8:00am – 4:30 pm, 4:00 pm – 12:30 am,and 12:00 midnight – 8:30 am.
- Overtime hours are frequent in this position.
- This position will require shift changes once a year.
- Under minimal supervision, applies specialized knowledge and expertise in various areas of security support where experience and good judgment are required to plan and accomplish assigned goals; nature of work reflects considerable variety and complexity.
- Applies comprehensive knowledge of policies, practices, and procedures in security support and coordinates day-to-day security operations effectively.
- Answers and initiates calls; communicates clearly using two-way radio using applicable 10-codes; coordinates tasks and/or projects; provides leadership and guidance to other security personnel.
- Performs complex security assessments of situations to determine appropriate action; has advanced knowledge of subject matter; gathers information and develops reports (e.g. incidents, investigations etc.); oversees security logs and records based on department protocols.
- Maintains records and logs; inputs data into computer security management systems; assembles, collates, maintains and files confidential and sensitive information; accurately documents, prepares and/or produces technical/standard reports for department.
- Patrols campus buildings and grounds (by foot, bicycle, security truck, or cart) to provide and maintain safety and security for employees, students and guests, and to protect Institute facilities and property.
- Coordinates security efforts and appropriate responses/notifications based on Institute security guidelines and laws; requests police, fire and/or paramedics based on situation.
- Handles, coordinates and follows up with various emergency situations; determines if additional medical aid is required and initiates requests for fire and/paramedics as required.
- Responds to suspicious activity and/or disturbances; determines if illegal or inappropriate activity and/or behavior exists and if individual(s) can be legally detained or arrested; notifies police and/or law enforcement agencies as appropriate.
- Provides customer service to general inquiries, security issues during business and non-business hours; coordinates requests for additional security services as required.
- Coordinates and participates in transferring security information to facilitate a smooth transition between shifts and ensure all security duties are completed per department protocol.
- Acts as primary contact for campus information during non-business hours; provides customer service and assistance.
- Escorts employees, faculty, guests and students as requested.
- Secures buildings and property during “lockdowns.”
- Will raise and lower the American flag on a daily basis.
- Provides input in identifying and developing goals and objectives to improve services to the Institute.
- Determines valid access and blocking or restricting access when requested; interfaces with local law enforcement agencies as necessary.
- Maintains current knowledge and understanding of Institute policies and procedures; participates in the development and implementation of Institute and Departmental policies and procedures related to security services.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
- Minimum qualifications include a High School diploma or GED equivalence certificate.
- Must have at least one year of previous security experience in a University setting.
- Basic typing/computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, MS Word and Excel.
- Must have a valid California Security Guard Card.
- Must have valid California Driver’s License and must be maintained throughout the course of employment.
- APC 832 Certificate and a First Responder/EMT Certificate are required.
- Must be available to work any shift and be available to work overtime as needed.
- Must be in the physical condition appropriate to conduct Security Officer activities as outlined in the job description. Including being able to lift 30 pounds on a regular basis and up to 100 pounds of security barriers and poles on an as needed basis.
- Must be able to walk, climb stairs, bend, and reach continuously during the course of the shift.
- Must be able to respond to emergencies, which may involve running up to 5 blocks across Campus, around obstacles and climb up to 9 flights of stairs.
- A law enforcement background, a positive attitude to career change, and flexibility in a changing environment are highly desirable for this position.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 06/23/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.